Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

"Young master Ashen, Yoru lives with me and my wife in Pyre town, he is no one's servant and more importantly he is certainly nothing to do with Mayor Firs. He is a part of my family and has been for awhile now" Kai's tone was even and thoughtful, but his eyes burned with anger.

Samrin's plump cheeks turned pink, the blush crept across the top of his slightly upturned nose and his lips pursed together. Yoru couldn't help but smile, the other man was clearly not used to being admonished. The elf took a breath, but before he could respond Firs chimed in.

"Now Master Kai what is so bad about myself? I am a fair Mayor and scholarly young man, am I not? Yoru could always work for me if he wanted. There is always a place for talented individuals at Sorrowese Mansion'' He gave Yoru a big smile as Cais snorted in disbelief.

"How funny it is for you to count yourself as a scholar, I have never seen you open a book and if I remember quite rightly you are not a young man hm?" Cais shot out at him.

Firs giggled lightly then flicked Cais in the chest, the man swatted him away.

"You should look harder, perhaps because your nose is so wonky it obscures your view, hm?"

Yoru laughed. He hated that he did, but Cais Ashen was rude and arrogant and it was a thrill to watch him be blatantly insulted by the quick witted Firs. Cais' face turned to thunderous rage as he looked around the table at Yoru.

"Do you find him funny?" he spat out and Yoru just shook his head. Kai had taught him to smile and nod and that's what he would do. Getting into a fight on his first day here was not an option.

"He is a little bit funny brother" much to everyone's shock, Samrin Ashen replied as he took a sip of his wine. Firs gave the youngest ashen one of his brightest smiles in response.

"Ah Samrin Ashen, it is nice to see you here. You never visit Pyre town. To see your face lighting up my streets would be much better than your elder brother who seems to darken them" he poured the elf some more wine. Although he spoke to Samrin his eyes never left Cais.

"Well why would I visit Pyre? It is so very small and uninteresting. I would much rather visit Silona Capital...or even Tivene" Samrin Ashen spoke with a half smile as he watched Firs. Yoru could tell he was not on either side of whatever petty grudge the other two men had.

"Well, that is unfair. We have picturesque views, famed merchants and well we have Yoru. Lumera's only Lunarin" Firs held one elegant hand out towards Yoru. He frowned at the hand, he thought himself no prized pig to be shown off. He was not an attraction.

"But what do you do Yoru, sure you look fine but if you sit and drink wine like the rest of them then how is it your are different at all. All very boring." Samrin turned away from Yoru in a flourish, as if dismissing the other.

"Well I do apologise for you not finding me entertaining enough in those few moments we have met. Maybe another time I could excite you more" Yoru blurted out, his mind only catching up with his words when everyone around him looked shocked.

"Uh...not.."

"Aha! Oh I love him!" Firs shouted as Cais turned blue then red. Samrin let out a rather undignified laugh, quickly putting his hand over his mouth before looking away from the table completely.

Cais finally recovered and stood, he gave the two men a long stare then thought better of causing a scene. He walked away in the direction of his sister.

The rest of the day went by quickly, it was full of snakes telling stories and spreading gossip. Firs enjoyed it immensely, his mouth being the gate to all knowledge which he gifted freely among the people who knew him. It felt so unclean, soon enough the glistening veneer of this world that Yoru had only watched from afar, quickly rotted away to reveal itself a political cesspool.