complicated desire: oliviarose85

★★★★
finished: january 14, 2023
random number: 163

DON'T COME AT ME PLEASE!! i know i can read faster than that even with school going on and everything. but some days i just feel so exhausted and don't have enough energy to comprehend what i read. and plus, i do not want to reduce my enjoyment just to finish a book quicker.

yup!! this is exactly why i added the 'random number' indicator in the beginning of my reviews. i get the exact same number back to back among the 300 that i can pick from? how?

i don't think this is a reliable review anymore, to be fair. i don't know if i'm on a holiday which i'm sure i can finish this book within a day, i'd still feel the downhill of this book or it's just my mood.

i feel like the beginning of this book was stronger than the last half. it was still decent though, don't get me wrong. it's just that it took a turn that i didn't quite like, i guess? i even thought of giving it a 3.5, but i remember loving the beginning of it, and since the end wasn't bad at all, i thought a 4 star is fair enough.

the characters, however, i love them throughout the book. i feel like the one thing that i love the most about them is the fact that they are just so honest and open towards each other and didn't even consider lying to be an option in the first place because they know it will only result in a bigger problem, which might be one of the worst trope, miscommunication.

i feel like i've read this book before i read the 70 books that i read, i'd maybe give it a 4.5 or even a 5. some of you might notice how i haven't been giving books 4.5 or even 5 stars anymore.

i'm not trying to find anything that i could critique about, it's just that i think with the more books i've read, these books just doesn't seem to be so special? which sounds so mean, i know, but hey, i still thoroughly enjoyed this book. and with the more books i've read, some were very good (at least i remember them to be) and i guess i just set up my expectations a little bit higher than in the beginning of 2022.

but anyway, this book is definitely not for everyone, you'll know why once you checked the blurb of it. the thing is that i do actually see this book to be very unique, it's just that somehow, it doesn't give me something that a 4.5 star or 5 star book would give, you know?

the writing!! do i even need to start talking about how good the writing is? i'm not one to love a whimsical, descriptive type of style, i wouldn't say that this one is super descriptive or anything, uhh i don't know, i just love how the author writes!!