52

Aurora Styles

"Mummy what design are we doing?" Dove whispers into my ear as we sit at the dining table together, about to carve the pumpkins we picked yesterday. 

It's Halloween today, and I'm actually extremely excited. I've always loved Halloween, and tonight we're going to a Halloween party. It's at a bar in the center of the city, meaning after trick or treating with Dove, she's going to sleep at Anne and Rob's, ready to spend Sunday together as me and Harry recover from our most definite hangovers.

I'm completely honest, I couldn't be more excited for tonight and what it'll bring. Me and Harry are both gonna get absolutely fucked, letting go of everything. Truthfully, I'm excited to see Harry absolutely wasted. I have a feeling drunk Harry will be even more fun than the tipsy Harry I met 2 weeks ago when he had his first alcoholic drink for the first time in almost half a decade.

I look back down to Dove, keeping my eyes on Harry who is sitting across the table, whispering in her ear, "I have a drawing on my iPad which I created last night? Do you wanna see?"

She nods her head obsessively, and I grab the iPad I use to sketch all my drawings and paintings, finding the drawing in my photos, showing Dove who gasps and continues nodding, now even faster.

I laugh at her and kiss her temple, narrowing my eyes at Harry of which Dove matches, "Ready to start?"

Of course we're having a competition over this.

And it's not a shock Dove chose me.

I mean... would you go with your dad who can't draw to save his life, or your mum who's job is to draw 24/7?

She's my little genius, even if she's using me to win. I'll give her that.

He raises his brows and picks up the ballpoint pen, "Games on."

With the case holding my iPad up, I quickly sketch the main part of the design for us, knowing I purposefully created this design so there's parts that use just my skills, and other parts which use just Dove's.

As soon as I've done with the center of the pumpkin, I pass her the pen and direct her on how to draw the shapes above, kissing her temple with how perfectly it turned out, and how she managed to notice how the sketch on the iPad has a variety of shapes and sizes.

Maybe my little baby has inherited my gift for art.

I knew she could colour inside the lines already... but draw this neatly based on a rough sketch I did last night? I'm impressed.

She passes me the pen back, looking up at me with a proud smile on her lips. Oh how I can't wait for her face to light up when she sees the final product.

"Okay prinkípissa," I turn my voice down to a whisper, "mummy is gonna help you cut the top off, okay? We know how sharp knives are, and we have to go slow, yes?"

She nods, and I place the pumpkin carving knife, the ones created specifically for children, in her hand, my hand wrapping around hers so she has very little control, and therefore a very small chance of getting hurt.

She stands on the chair as I raise to my feet, and we start cutting round the circle I drew into the top of the pumpkin, Dove giggling when we pull the top off together, making a whole show out of how strong she is.

"Now it's time for the guts!" I say with a laugh, making a sound of disgust to make this even more fun for her as I scoop a small handful out and show her.

She gags as she touches them, making me cry laughter as she's shaking her head, "I'm not touching that."

I see Harry pulling the top of the pumpkin off, picking out some of his own pumpkin guts, "Beautiful, you know they're called pumpkin intestines."