45

Aurora Styles

"Alright Dovey, c'mere." I lift her out the shallow plastic box I filled with black paint, her feet now covered in the non-toxic acrylic I bought specifically for this.

I didn't want to throw away the painting she added her little touch to, so instead we're making it a Dove painting. Her handprints are already over it, but now so are her feet.

"Press down for me, Dovey girl." Her legs bend at the knees as she visibly puts as much pressure down as she can, making me softly chuckle.

I lift her back up after a couple seconds, bringing her to my hip to prevent the paint getting on the floor– despite odd splashes of paint of course already on the hardwood. We smile down at the painting with her feet and hands on it, and I tickle her tummy as I say proudly, "Look at that baby! It's a Dovey painting."

She giggles and hides her face into my neck, "Dovey pwainting like mummy pwainting?"

I nod, "Mhm, do you wanna write your name?"

She can't exactly write her name yet, but after washing her feet in the sink at the other side of the room, I place the pen in her hand, wrapping my hand around hers and I guide her to spell out 'Dove S'. 

We're both grinning as we pull back, admiring the most important painting I now own.

I kiss her cheeks and lips as she yawns, "Are you tired now, perfect girl?"

She nods and I head into her bedroom, putting her down for a little later than usual. Harry is working later tonight, he sent me a text earlier, which means bedtime tonight is just me and my baby. I think Dove is a little sad over it, but I know he'll come in here later tonight and see her.

I read her a book she chooses, kissing her face all over as she falls into sleep with Ted locked in her arm, Marshy at the end of her bed– like always.

I shut the door softly behind me, going back into the studio, writing "june '24" under her signature, finally adding some gold leaf foiling around the painting to fill in any sparse gaps where I think the extra detail is necessary.

I smile as I lean back, extremely happy and proud of the painting we managed to create after the accident last week. I can't wait to hang this up and never take it down.

Maybe it can become tradition with all our babies.

I clean up my studio, adding some final details to my latest painting – a commissioned piece for a ballerina based on a photo of her – for over an hour, slower to two before I switch off the lights and lock the door.

I head into our en-suite and switch the shower on, sighing as I see it's already 9:30 and Harry isn't home

I head into our en-suite and switch the shower on, sighing as I see it's already 9:30 and Harry isn't home. It's not his fault, I know, but I'm still missing him. I just want a hug and maybe a little more.

I guess I'll go back to the old days and play candy crush till I fall asleep. Hopefully he'll wake me up when he's finally home.

Harry Styles