1

Aurora Adler

"I'm not going!" I stamp my foot on the ground next to me like a toddler.

How I'm meant to be raising my own child in approximately 23 weeks, or 5 months, I don't know.

"Jesus christ," my best friend sighs, "yes you are. He's been working for me for nearly a year, and I've been trying to set you two up for... nearly a year. Get your ass in this dress, and walk out of that door." Deli laughs at the end of her sentence, but nothing about this situation is funny.

"Deli meat, I don't want to. He's just gonna be like every other man who sees the bump and walks in the other direction. Why should I put myself out there for someone who's gonna judge me before I even get to introduce myself?" I say as I re-tie my robe around me, covering the white lace set I have on.

It's for me. Only.

And that's how it'll stay.

"Rora I... I don't get the impression that he'll be like that. He's always early for work, bought me a coffee on his first day, took the team out for lunch and offered to pay. I've never had one of my employees work harder than he does. It's as if he spends all his free time editing his photos, they're impeccable." She looks at me with a soft smile, and walks slowly towards the dress she picked out.

"Oh great," I roll my eyes tirelessly, "so he's one of those that doesn't know when to put the work away. I'm sorry no. I'm not being second best to a fucking laptop, again. 'Oh Rory sorry I can't, the office needs me. Sorry babe, gonna have to cancel, the office needs me. I have to sleep with my notifications on, incase the office needs me.'  You know who that reminds me of?" I feel bad for judging him before I even get a look at the poor guy, I'm such a hypocrite, but I know those types of guys. I used to date one.

"Yes. Your ex. But to be fair, he was cheating on you for months."

"Damn that's your 'to be fair' card?" I scowl at her, trying to get sympathy so she won't make me go on a date with the hot photographer guy that everyone seems to be in love with. I mean seriously, what's with everyone blowing smoke up this guys ass?

He's really that special?

"Just... Aurora," the full names out.. that's never good, "try and let yourself enjoy something. You deserve it. You may be incredible at self sabotage, but please, for yourself, have fun tonight. He's a really great guy. And very charming."

"Then why don't you date him?" I exasperatedly throw my hands up in the air.

It's not that I'm not grateful for Deli trying to set me up and I guess make me less lonely, but I just don't want to be let down again.

Every man I've ever been involved in has strung me along for one reason and one reason only. And I cannot go through that again. Especially not now I'm about to become a mother.

"Aurora! No! He's yours." She tells me with a stern look, before flicking her gaze down to the dress that's laying in her arms, and walking carefully over to me, as if I'm about to explode.

God, I'm not that bad am I?

"Oh really." I say with a smirk, and by the look on my face she knows I've not finished my sentence.

"So how's... hmm what's his name?" I sarcastically tut, and bring my hand to stroke my chin in feign thought, "Edward? Elliot? Oh God I can't remember... pregnancy brain must really be getting to me."

"Elijah." She mumbles defeatedly.

"Ahh! The infamous Elijah." I sigh, a playful smile on my face as I tease her about the crush she has on one of the lighting techs.