(29) Just a Feeling

"Locked in a stalemate with a man who bars no hold. Rock and a hard place, he's battering control."

-Richy Mitch & The Coal Miners

"I can't believe we're doing this." I muttered to myself as I raced through the desert on a speeder. It hadn't taken Padme and I long to get to Tatooine and it had taken even less time to find Anakin's family farm. A man named Lars came out to greet us, a worried look in his eyes as he took in the sight of Padme and I. After I had quickly explained why we were here, I dropped Padme off with Anakin's family and took off into the direction Lars pointed me. Something was very wrong and as of right now, my top priority was Anakin.

Night had fallen and I found that I could sense Anakin's presence, the pain inside of me grew stronger and stronger the closer I got to him. Then I saw it in the distance, the fire. Anxiety built inside of me as I forced the speeder to its max limit, everything blurring around me. I could only focus on the fire, Anakin was there, I could feel him. He was in pain.

I saw the bodies as I approached.

My heart stopped in my chest as I pulled the speeder to a stop. The bodies of the sandpeople laid around their camp, their fires still burning bright. They were killed... by a lightsaber. The realization struck me as I walked deeper into the camp, following the now dim feeling of Anakin. Bile rose in my throat as I took in the bodies of the elderly, the children. And then I saw him.

He was kneeling on the ground, rocking back and forth, a limp body in his arms. Tears were streaming down his face, his lightsaber discarded at his side. I should feel disgusted by what he did, but all I felt was his sadness, his pain as I knelt to his side, my hand sliding onto his shoulder as I looked down at his mother.

I didn't even know her name.

Even in her bloodied, broken form, there was a sense of peace surrounding her and I knew, deep in my heart, that she was one with the force, her essence filling the space around Anakin and I.

"Anakin." I whispered and he turned his head to look at me, a sob escaping his lips, his eyes filled with sorrow.

"I should have gone sooner, I've had these visions every night, I shouldn't have ignored them, I should have come, I should have-"

"Anakin." I whispered, but this time firmer as I cut him off, "What's done is done, let us give her soul peace." He nodded, standing up, his mother's body still in his arms. I looked around at the sand people, my heart clenching. My best guess is that he had found her dead and had taken matters into his own hands. Anakin had gone against the code. There were so many dead, so many that had lost their lives. I was caught between feeling horrified by Anakin's actions and being glad of them.

"Here." Taking off my thick outer robe, I wrapped his mother's body, taking her from Anakin's arms and walking back through the camp. He followed me like a lost soul, his emotions empty. I placed Anakin's mother on the back of his speeder, securing her so her body wouldn't suffer anymore damage. Anakin was silent the entire time, not saying a word. He went to get on his speeder and I did the same with mine, following him into the night, the desert flowing past us.

We returned to the Skywalker's farm to find Lars, his son Owen, and Padme waiting for us. As soon as Padme saw the body, her head dropped. I immediately went to her, checking to see if she was ok. Guilt washed over me at the fact that I had left her here. I shouldn't have done that, I had gone against my mission. Lars broke out in sobs next to me and Owen was silent as he stared at the limp form wrapped in cloth.

We buried Anakin's mother an hour later and I finally learned her name. Shmi Skywalker. I watched as Anakin used the force to lower her body into the ground, covering it with the pile of sand next to the grave. Everyone stood there for a moment, no one saying a word. Eventually, everyone returned inside, leaving Anakin and I at his mother's grave.