(16) Fury

Steve's hand snaked around Leora's waist as he carefully hoisted her from the car, leading her towards the entrance of what she hoped was a safe house.. or safe dam by the looks of everything. Her eyes fluttered closed as she stumbled, her body numbing but her mind racing and catching onto the things around her as Hill opened a steel door.

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint." Hill called as a figure raced towards them. They were in a damp hallway, walking towards something Leora could barely make out.

"Maybe two!" Sam said as the man drew closer.

"Let me take her!" He motioned for Steve to hand Leora over to him but Hill shook her head.

"She'll want to see him first." She led them through a set of doors and into a room. Inside a hospital room had been set up and laying in the bed...

"About damn time." Nick Fury huffed.

...

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache." Fury listed from where he layed. Leora grimaced as a doctor treated her bullet wound. Apparently, the bullet had passed clean through her shoulder meaning the doctor didn't have to worry about extracting it.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." He offered. Leora stared into the distance, how was he alive? She had watched him die along with Steve, Nat, and Hill.

"Let's not forget that." Fury huffed, "Otherwise, I'm good."

"They cut you open, your heart stopped." Leora prompted.

"Tetrodotoxin B." Fury answered, "Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him but we found a use for it."

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us? Steve interjected.

"Any attempt on the Director's life had to look successful." Hill offered.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead." Nick sighed, "Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." Leora glanced over to Natasha who was looking up at the ceiling. She reached out her senses but couldn't place what the Widow was feeling.

A few hours later, Leora's arm was patched up and they were sitting around a table, Fury holding a picture of Alexander Pierce.

"This man declined a Nobel Peace prize." Nick shook his head, "He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility." He dropped the photo onto the table, "See, it's stuff like this that gives you trust issues." Leora knew this was his way of apologizing to Nat who was sitting next to her.

"We have to stop the launch." Nat muttered, accepting the Director's apology. Everyone turned to Steve who was still standing.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Nick opened a brief case that was sitting in front of it. Inside, three chips laid next to each other in a neat line.

"What's that?" Sam asked, motioning to the chips.

"Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized." Maria turned her computer screen towards everyone. showing them the helicarriers path along with the satellite positions.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." A model of one of the helicarriers appeared, the computer zoomed in on the bottom showing them where they needed to activate the chips.

"One or two won't cut it, we need to link all three carriers for this to work because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are going to die." Hill blinked, fear coursing through her.