(14) Birds of Prey

"Hey man." A surprised Sam Wilson greeted, as he opened the door of his house. Leora could feel the worry seep from him as he took the trio in. They were exhausted, covered in dust, and out of ideas. When they finally got on the road again, Steve suggested they find a man by the name of Sam Wilson, an ex military fighter whom Steve had met running. It sounded a bit shady at first, but then again, they didn't have a lot of options.

"I'm sorry about this." Steve apologized sincerely, "We need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Nat offered, causing Sam's concern to grow even more. He looked between the three once again as if he was deciding on something.

"Not everyone." He said after a moment, inviting them inside. Relief instantly swept through Leora as he led them to a guest bedroom which consisted of one bed, "The bathroom is right there if you want to wash up." He said, exiting the room to give them a moment.

Leora was the first one in there, shutting the door behind her with a thud. She peeled her dirt worn clothes from her body, turning the water on hot and entering the shower. She almost moaned at the feeling as the water washed over her. Fingers combing through her hair, Leora began washing up.

This entire situation was crazy, everything about it. Just thinking about it made her tired. She longed for when her life was simple, when she was running missions for S.H.I.E.L.D, for Fury. Despite her best efforts, the weight of missing her pressed down onto her body, threatening to choke her. Closing her eyes, Leora counted to ten until she could breathe again. After scrubbing herself clean, Leora grabbed her clothes, scrubbing them down as well.

When she was done, she dried them using that strange power of hers, pulling them on. After rifling through the draws, Leora was pleasantly surprised to find a bit of make-up.

She could hear Nat and Steve talking in the other room, their voices low. Hell, she could feel the tension from them even with the door closed. Leora rolled her eyes, applying mascara before exiting the bathroom to find the two of them sitting on the edge of the bed.

Natasha disappeared into the bathroom, leaving Steve and Leora alone.

"So, how's being a fugitive?" Leora questioned in an attempt to lighten the room. Rolling his eyes, Steve laid back on the bed, his eyes closing. It was the first time Leora thought he looked tired.

"Exciting." Steve replied, an exasperated sigh escaping his lips. Leora had to admit, she was as well. Laying down on the bed, she took her first real breath since she had joined up with Nat and Steve, "Can I ask you something Leora?" Steve questioned after a moment.

Curiosity peaked her interest and Leora propped her head up on her hand before replying, "Sure."

"Why did you come with us?" Steve paused, "Why risk everything you've built?" Looking around, Leora spotted a bottle of pink nail polish, swiping it from the table.

"Well, I couldn't just let you go on an adventure with out." Leora gave him a small smile, the scent of nail polish filling the air as she began to paint her nails. Sensing Steve's annoyance, she continued, "I guess it's about doing the right thing. I wanted to avenge Fury and I knew that the Captain America wasn't someone who became a fugitive in the few hours that I hadn't seen him." A small smile crossed her face as she felt Steve's resolve, "Plus I felt like this would be a good bonding experience."

"Bonding experience?" Steve rose an eyebrow at her, causing Leora to chuckle as she finished her nails.

"Yeah, bonding experience, since you hate me." Steve's eyes widened, clearly taken aback. Leora sat up a bit straighter.