(6) The Dream

"What if I told you I feel like I know you? But we never met?"

-Phoebe Bridgers

For the first time in what felt like a long time, she was dreaming.

She dreamt of a small room with very few things inside. The walls were a light beige and the bed and bedside table were small. As was the window that overlooked a peaceful garden.

Everything about the room felt familiar, yet she could not place it, no matter how hard she tried. She let herself drift towards the bedside table where a display stand sat. Her eyes widened as they landed upon two beautiful hilts. They were both the same yet different. Both a pure silver looking steel, wrapped in a leather band that was embroidered with gold. What seemed to be small charms hung from a beaded line that was tied to one end. The first hilt was a bit longer than the other, and as she surveyed the beautiful craftsmanship, she felt the urge to pick them up.

Her fingers stretched out, they were almost hesitant as they reached towards the hilts. The urge to pick them up was stronger now. These were hers, she knew that with certainty. They were what she had been looking for the night she woke up at the old S.H.I.E.L.D base.

Just as her fingers were about to graze the beautiful hilts, the door opened behind her. Whirling, she turned to find a man in the doorway.

He was beautiful and just like the hilts, familiar. His brown hair fell just below his ears and his eyes were so blue they reminded her of the sky. He seemed to be her age, having just shed his boyish features in turn for those of a man. He was the man from her memories when she had interrogated Loki.

His face was a mixture of things. Shock, fear, relief? All those things were swirling through him and even herself as they stared at each other. The air grew heavy and it felt as though she could not breath as she stared at the man.

He took a step towards her, then another, only relief on his face as he crossed the room to her, almost running at this point. His mouth moved, but she could not hear his words, or well, anything.

Just before he reached her, the world turned to darkness again, and Leora woke up tied to a chair above New York City.