Basic Witch - 5

Chapter 5: That Inevitable Pull of Magic

Rosé leaned her hip against her desk, not bothering to hide her grin as Jennie marveled at her recherché of magical herbs and books

Rosé leaned her hip against her desk, not bothering to hide her grin as Jennie marveled at her recherché of magical herbs and books. Her palm throbbed from where the pocket knife stabbed her during the scuffle, but the pain was the last thing on her mind.

Jennie was staring at her with wonder and excitement. For months, Rosé dreamed about telling Jennie who she really was, and in none of them did Jennie react with fascination.

Her hand gave another throb, and Rosé pushed herself off the desk. She wordlessly stood next to Jennie, pulling a few jars off the shelves.

"Adder's tongue, goldenseal, arnica, a touch of yarrow," Rosé dictated, aware that Jennie was watching her every move. She muddled the mixture of plants together, and the mess of ingredients soon turned into a thick paste.

Rosé dipped her good hand into the bowl, gathering a hefty amount of the salve on her fingers, and delicately applied it to her wound. Jennie looked on, enraptured, and when it was time to wrap her cut, Jennie snatched the bandage and did it for her.

"How long will it take to heal?"

"A few hours if I concentrate," Rosé smiled as Jennie kissed her expertly wrapped hand. "It's just a minor wound."

Jennie covered her mouth, stifling her laugh.

"What?" Rosé wondered.

"It's just-" Jennie shrugged, blinking faster than a hummingbird. "You're a witch."

Rosé did nothing to hide her wide grin.

They stood in silence, taking a moment to relax after a whirlwind hour. And what an hour it had been. Rosé had gone from being absolutely sure that Jennie would never return her affections to having kissed the said woman of her dreams several times. And now she was standing there, staring back at her with so much tenderness Rosé was pretty sure she wouldn't need to use her own magic if she wanted to fly.

"So, what are we going to do about them?" Jennie broke the spell.

"There's a cure," Rosé cleared her throat. "An anti-love potion potion."

"Perfect!" Jennie's voice was two octaves too high. "Let's get started!"

"Eager to be rid of your suitors?"

Jennie dipped her chin and smirked. She leaned close, gingerly tapping Rosé's nose. "There's only one I want."

Despite the rapid beat of her heart and the flutter of her stomach, Rosé crossed her arms. "If you had told me that a few weeks ago, none of this would have happened."

Jennie shook her head and teased, "It's not like you were exactly forthcoming in the feelings department."

"I didn't think-" Rosé paused, aware she was about to shift the mood. She swallowed the lump in her throat and smiled softly. "People are frightened of what they don't understand."