Basic Witch - 4

Chapter 4: Is This What Magic Feels Like?

"What?" Jennie blinked at Rosé.

"All those people out there, they're under a love spell. They're all deliriously in love with you because of magic," Rosé did her best to keep her voice clear of the overwhelming shame swirling in her stomach.

"Is this your idea of a joke?"

"It's not a joke. It's real, and it's dangerous. Love can be madness, and people in obsessive love are capable of anything."

Jennie slammed her water bottle on the countertop and jumped off the stool. She stalked towards Rosé with a terrifying fire burning behind her eyes. "If it's so dangerous, why the hell did you do it?"

"I didn't do it on purpose!" Rosé had the fleeting thought to back up, to retreat from the intimidating woman approaching. But she held her ground and relaxed a fraction as Jennie stopped a few feet in front of her.

"All those people came to me for different spells and potions," Rosé motioned towards the back door. "It was an accident."

Jennie's nostrils flared, and Rosé was momentarily impressed that she was able to get out a coherent sentence through her bared teeth. "How do you accidentally make a love spell? Seems pretty intentional to me."

"The magic backfired," Rosé squared her shoulders. She was not going to let anyone accuse her of meddling with something so precarious. She'd never deliberately put people in danger. It was fundamentally against everything she loved about magic. "I didn't know this was going to happen."

"But why, Rosé?" Jennie shouted, throwing her hands in the air wildly. "Why are they all in love with me?"

"Because I am!" Rosé scoffed, ignoring the open-mouthed shock on Jennie's face. The cat was out of the bag, and Rosé was utterly unable to stop the verbal flood now that it had started.

"You've been on my mind since I met you. And because love doesn't make sense and is just so- It can be completely-" Rosé raked her hands over her face. "Ugh! Every time I cast for someone, somehow, I think of you. Magic is fickle and often has a mind of its own. And here we are. Trapped in your bakery, surrounded by a horde of lovesick morons fighting for your affection."

Rosé came down from her impressive rant and stilled. Jennie was staring at her, and her breath caught in Rosé's throat. "Please don't pour flour over my head."

*******

Jennie's world was spinning yet again. But for the first time in forty-eight hours, the declaration of love was a welcome one. Jennie didn't second-guess her instincts. She didn't stop to think about the consequences. She just reached her hand up, tangled her fingers in Rosé's long, wavy hair, and surged forward. She swallowed the surprised little gasp that left Rosé's lips and kissed her.