Basic Witch - 3

Chapter 3: Love Combined with Magic

The crisp autumn air swirled, tornadoing orange and yellow leaves around Jennie

The crisp autumn air swirled, tornadoing orange and yellow leaves around Jennie. She pulled her jean jacket tighter, tucked her chin in her fluffy scarf, and trudged along the quaint Main Street.

"Jennie!"

Jennie found the owner of the voice, a local coffee shop owner and frequent patron of Bread & Butter, Im Nayeon, waving hysterically from across the street. Jennie braved the chilled weather and snuck her hand out of her pocket to give a friendly wave and smile.

Nayeon beamed and pranced toward her. "Hey," she giggled. "How are you this morning?"

Nayeon's fingers trailed down her neck, catching in the long silver chain she always wore. She twirled her necklace in her fingers with an innocent smile.

"I'm good," Jennie peered over Nayeon's shoulder, trying to silently and politely tell her that she'd rather not stand out here and chat. "A little cold-" Jennie stuffed her hands back in her pockets to prove her point.

"Oh," Nayeon gasped and shot forward. She pulled a very surprised Jennie into her arms and began frantically running her hands up and down Jennie's back in an attempt to warm her. "You poor thing! We'll get you nice and toasty in no time."

Jennie delicately shrugged out of the embrace. "Thanks," she smiled, not wanting to offend Nayeon or make her think her pretty random and a little out of character physical closeness freaked her out. "But my shop is just around the corner. As you well know. I won't be cold for long."

"Right," Nayeon nodded with a gigantic grin. "Right! We're practically neighbors."

Jennie cleared her throat, and with the kindest smile she could muster, sidestepped around Nayeon. "I'll see you later."

"Hey, Jennie?"

Jennie sighed as she turned around.

"I was just thinking, you and I? We should go out sometime."

"I'd like that," Jennie nodded. "I haven't made many friends since I moved here. It'd be nice to hang out."

Nayeon took a bold step forward and dipped her head. "No. Not as friends. I-"

Jennie held up her hand. She didn't need to hear the explanation. Nayeon's low and husky voice and the way she dipped her gaze to Jennie's lips told her everything she needed to know.

"Nayeon," Jennie pressed a warning hand to her chest, keeping her from leaning any farther forward. "I'm flattered. But aren't you married to Mina? Who's the nicest, sweetest girl on the planet? Who'd do anything for you and for whom, up until this moment right here, I assumed you would too?"