Chapter 15

"Why did you go to the press telling them that bullshit?" Khalil slams his mother's office door. He went by her condo yesterday after Shontell hung up on him, but she wasn't there. "Watch your mouth speaking to me Khalil!" Kathy tells him so startled she almost drops the box on her head. Khalil catches it putting it back up on the shelf, still glaring at her.

"Now what's the problem now Khalil? It's always something wrong with you!" She tells him as she walks towards the coffee dispenser. He follows suit agitated. "My problem is you telling them noisy ass tabloids that I plan on changing my building! Now you have the whole black community in uproar over some shit that ain't never left my mouth!" Khalil tells her watching as she pours creamer and sugar into her coffee.

"Child I have no idea what you are talking about. But one thing for sure I need you to calm yourself," Kathy tells Khalil taking a seat in the black recliner by the window.

"However I did read that article this morning, that's why I'm here in the office, thought you maybe actually come to your senses," Kathy takes a sip of her coffee.

"My senses? Ma what you mean my senses, they never left if anything you seemed to have lost yours, so who'd you pay?" Khalil tells his mother going so far as to accuse her of paying someone to hang him by the ropes.

Her eyes pop open as she looks up at her son flabbergasted. "You sit here and accuse me, your mother of throwing you to dogs? Not only that but the fact that I would be your first suspect is appalling to me. Are you that angry over that little comment that you'd tried to pin all this on me?"

Khalil almost falters seeing she looks and sounds quite hurt, but he still held his suspicion nonetheless. "You were the only one that could've Ma. Do you think that HAG is a joke to Black people? Which is why you do the things you do? So, when you sit here and ask me why I accuse you first because your actions ever since you handed over the company to me show that you don't care if my face is ruined as long as it fits into your-"

"Are you guys done now? That's enough Khalil, you should stop now. Whether or not Mom was the one who did it, doesn't change the fact it's out there now. All of our reputations are in danger and the company's name is slander," James walks in scratching the back of his head. He looks between his Mother and Brother.

A smile appeared on his face, "Now instead of your constant bickering let's try to find a solution." James takes a seat in the other diagnose chair across from his mother.

Did you guys watch the news? Not even a day later and protests are already in front of the HAG building," James says his smile fades his green eyes trail the two of them, when he wasn't smiling or in a playful mood both Mother and Son knew that he was angry.

"And yet, I come in to see you two behaving like children." James sternly tells the both of them. He throws the news article on the table.

Khalil reads the title out loud, "Protestants wreck havoc on famous building HAG, two injured."

Kathy places her coffee mug on the table. She folds her arms in front of her chest, "I've seem to become the pinpoint of a blame cushion to this young man right here James."

"Whether or not you had given the tabloids any information, on that silly conversation, the fact is it's out there now and it's already causing chaos. If you had just kept your ideas to yourself we wouldn't be in this situation," Khalil tells her. He had never disrespected his mother with so much malice, but lately, he found himself unable to hold back.

Kathy's face contorts in anger as she snarls, "The disrespect is constantly out of hand with you, and I refuse to let you talk to me that way Khalil! I'm your mother at the end of the day have I ever done anything to harm you, it hurts me to even think-"