Chapter 2

"Have you not decided your choice yet Mio? And where you get that big bruise from? I rub your head with alcohol to make swelling go down it like you hit by massive truck!" Mimi whines starting at the purple bruise that rested on the side of her grandson's head. The first thing Milo did when he got home was contemplate on the project.

Mimi came in a few hours ago, she had a massive fit about the bruise, but like always Milo didnt tell her the real reason. He always made an excuse up, "As I fell off the steps, you know how clumsy I am Mimi." He did tell her about the project which she thought was exciting. She was suggesting decor items before he could even suggest a topic. Oppression and Homophobia maybe? However Blm and Alm we're good ones too.

"Milo! Why you no listening? I ask you a question!"
Playing with his egg-fried rice he snaps his head up looking into his grandmother's soft brown eyes. "I don't know what I'm going to choose Mimi. I mean it's like I can relate to most of them, but how do I word my essay without sounding like a complete jerk or racist myself?"

Mimi places her finger on her chin. This is something she does when she's thinking, she reopens her eyes looking in her grandson's, "You don't need to sound racist cause you're not. This project does not make you racist, because you stand up for your freedom and rights as an Asian-American born into this country. You deserve an equal amount of equality just like the rest."

Milo smiles sadly telling his grandmother, "I know, but some people won't think the same, and then I im left with shame for thinking I can ever stand up for what's right and wrong."

Mimi narrows her eyes, "Shame! You no have shame for trying to do right, whether or not you feel like back is against the wall you stand up tall. Hope is what drives foward you and bring people together. Shame is what breaks them apart and glue your mouth shut. You should not ever be afraid to express the wrongdoings especially if you are the target of that resentment. You has lots to learn, but I feel you know you just afraid to take a stand. Maybe it is a school project but even as something as little as that is worth a million of words for other people."

Milo buries his head in his head, it's been forever since he got scolded like that by his grandmother. She sounded just like his teacher. "I'm sorry," Milo says the tears stinging his cheeks as he tries to wipe them away.

"Why you cry for? You no have to cry? Your mother was just like you, but your mother was different too. She had courage, and you have courage to you just have to find it," Mimi leans forward to kiss Milo on the head. Warm lips brushing against his skulls make his tears turn into sniffles.

Milo sinks into her warm embrace. What would he do without her? Sometimes he'd cry himself to sleep just thinking about what he would do if she were to leave him? He'll be all alone. "You think about what I said and go take your bath and save egg-fried rice for tomorrow it is delicacy don't waste it," Mimi tells her grandson releasing him from her embrace.

Milo wipes the rest of his tears, saying good night to his grandmother. He heads up the stairs. "Hey! Put egg-fried rice in a container." Mimi yells out.

...

Mimi walks into her grandson's room. She always love to watch over him while he was sleeping. When Milo was younger, he always slept beside her. The joy didn't start sleeping on his own until he reached twelve. Mimi takes a seat in the rocking chair that is laid beside his bedside.

The pain in her leg was suffocating. Her case of shingles was worsening day after day. She couldn't afford the medicine with the mortgage for this house, she could barely pay that. There were other bills too, like water, gas, and electricity. It was also hard to keep up with all of them working only two minimum wage jobs.