Chapter 9

"Hello Milo, it's been a couple of days since you've been up here," The nurse tells Milo as he helps her with some boxes. They were quite heavy for the woman to carry on her own. Milo looks down at his shoes, still feeling her eyes own him. He nods his head giving her a small reply, "Yea, I had been working a lot, so it wasn't easy to make it down here." He looks towards her, and she gives him a small smile, her eyes were golden brown. Today Ms. Kitty had her natural hair silk pressed, and my was it long.  Milo hadn't thought it was that long, but Alice had once told him that African American women hair held a lot of length, some biracial or women of different gene ethnicity hair could come in all types of forms. From loose curl textures to a tight kinky texture.

It had upset Milo when she told him that black girls with more loose texture and longer hair were more blessed with good hair, he always wondered what she meant good hair? To him all hair was beautiful, and versatile. Of course his opinions probably didn't matter since he was Asian.

"You thinking hard there child," Ms. Kitty tells him poking his side. They were still walking, it would take a while to be to the floor they were going. It didn't help that the elevators were down.  "Ah, it's nothing...your hair is very pretty," he tells the older woman. And she dramatically gasp putting her hand over her heart her honey colored eyes glow, "Thank you child, I had wanted to get it silk press for a while, since being natural for four years straight it should've grown back." 

Milo cocks an eyebrow, "Grown back?"  He questions, "Did you cut it off?"  Ms. Kitty nods her head, "Had no choice, when you get as many relaxers and perms as I did growing up as a child, and into adulthood it could really ruin your hair. Sure it might be beautiful, because it fits into society's beauty standards, you know that straight silky hair, not the nappy, that folks might think is unmanageable." 

"But I think it's beautiful, your natural Afro to it looks soft, it could be done in so many styles, unlike mine which is just black." Milo pouts giving the woman and smile even though he meant it.  The woman looks at him before rubbing his head, dragging her gloved hand along his hair. She let the few black strands slip through her finger tips, "So pretty." Is all she says, and Milo eyes widen, staring into her eyes, and for the first time he notices something about those honey colored eyes. They were in fact contacts, but that wasn't what was shocking, normally with contacts, even when you have them on you could still see the natural color around the rim of the contact on the pupil. It shocked Milo because the right eye of Ms. Kitty was blue, while her other was natural brown.

"Ms. Kitty?"  She was still looking ahead, so he couldn't really make sure that's what he had seen. "Yes child," they were finally approaching their destination.  "Those are contacts aren't they?" He questions her, as they enter the storage room. She places one hand over her right eye, "Did they mess up? Milo are they crooked?"  Milo shakes his head waving his hands, "Don't worry they're not crooked are anything it's just, I could tell they weren't real although at first I thought they were."

She lets out a sigh of relief, "Thank goodness!"  Milo cocks his head to the side, "Do you have Heterochromia?" Ms. Kitty nods her head, "Yea one of my eyes are blue, and the other is brown."  "Now help me unload the boxes, and then we can go see your grandmother."  Milo wanted to see her blue eye, heterochromia is such a beautiful sight.

Blue eye? He thinks to himself unloading the first box, it was easy to find where everything goes. "You don't have to choose right now? I don't wanna pressure you to anything, but this is my number. Don't tell anyone about us meeting, that'll be your first rule, of agreement in the contract. The most important part for your safety, and mine."  Milo face reddens, reminiscing on the Khalil guy. He had searched him up when he gotten home, and Khalil was big stuff. Not in New York, but all over the world, turns out he was adopted when he was younger.