Queue

She went to one of the tables and picked up a glass of iced tea which she promptly sipped from. She turned around to someone tapping her on the shoulder, surprised to see an unfamiliar Slytherin boy.

"Good evening, I saw your performance. You were lovely, would you care for a dance?"

Venus was taken aback by the remark and stiffen her hand holding her tea.

"I -um-"

"I'm sorry, she already has someone queued for a dance."

Interrupted a voice. Venus turned to see another unfamiliar Gryffindor boy, who she could've sworn was in his 6th year now. Draco saw the girl sipping her tea while spectating the quarreling boys.

How undignified.

Eventually they both turned to her with the resolution of each getting a dance.

"I -um-"

"I'm afraid her dance card is full for the night boys." The blonde boy announced, discouraging the Slytherin suitor immediately. The Gryffindor however, stood tall and held out his hand to Venus.

"That's for her to decide."

She looked at the Gryffindor boy, then at Draco, then at her drink.

I just wanted to drink my tea.

She took a long sip, keeping the tension between the two boys as she decided. She made eye contact with her mother as a plea for help as she rose her head. Layla promptly waved her over and she excused herself in relief.

"Too many boys?"

"Yes, they all wanted a dance, can you believe that?!"

The older woman laughed at her young daughter and brought her back to the table of adults.

"You should dance with your father, he's been so lonely without you waltzing in the halls."

"Of course mother."

Venus went up to her father and curtsied, offering her hand for a dance, to which Lucius and Copernicus' chuckled. Her father took her hand and kissed it, bringing his daughter to the dancefloor, waltzing perfectly to the melody. Lucius Malfoy offered a hand to his wife, who promptly accepted, joining in the dance. Layla Snow was surprised by a young Draco Malfoy who offered his hand to the mother, bring her to the floor as well.

Venus loved dancing with her father, he knew the right tempo and steps to match the ambiance and music. He could also lift her into the air like a cloud on a breeze.

As the song shifted to something more pepped up, the dancers changed partners.

"Go dance with mum!" She encouraged her father, who dorkily offered a hand to his wife.

Venus smiled at the sight of her parents enjoying themselves. She smiled more when she say Draco offering his hand to her to join in the dance.

"Looks like you got your dance after all." She quipped.

"Of course."

Draco watched Copernicus as he and his wife danced, trying to match the man's steps to his own. He had taken dance lessons for years of course, but he had seen Venus beam when she danced with her father in such a way he wanted to recreate forever. Copernicus saw the young boy trying to discreetly follow his steps and whispered to his wife.

"Let's help out our daughter, shall we?"

Layla looked to the pair in her peripheral and smiled at her husband, allowing him to slow their steps and then speed them up again as Draco copied.

"How sweet, he really cares doesn't he."

"Yes, he does. Let's see if he can make her happy though." The father said with a small protective grumble as he lifted his wife's in a small leap and set her down to keep dancing.

Draco gulped quietly as he grasped the girl firmly and lifted her into the air, just as her father did. Her face was something he wouldn't soon forget, with shock and jubilant surprise all over her beautiful features.

He set her down and the couples parted from their dance.

"What was that?" Venus asked him, as they walked back to their parents.

"Dancing Ice Princess, dancing."

She laughed and enjoyed the rest of the night, chatting formally with adults and other Pureblood children.

The return to Hogwarts was a tough one, many parents at the station were screaming for their children to stay safe. With a mass murderer on the loose, Venus understood their concern, but a part of her was torn.

Her parents knew Sirius Black when he was younger. They had told her stories of their friend before he had become a criminal. On top of that, something seemed odd about the death of Peter Pettigrew. Only his finger was left.

Why bother to leave his finger? Why not just kill him outright or use the killing curse?

She pondered to herself as she searched the compartments for the one with her friends.

"Venus! Did you have a good holiday?" a redheaded girl called from down the train hall.

"Ginny! Yes, and you?"

"Lovely! Willow and Ethan are in number 27, down that way."

"Thanks!"

The ravenette waved at the youngest Weasley and walked towards cabin 27, where she found her friends waiting for her.

"Venus!"

"Hey girl!"

The trio talked about their breaks for most of the train ride, venting their worries for their exams coming up and various tests that would start their resumed school year. Venus was unphased by the amount of studying she would have to do. It was relatively normal for her to spend time in the library and know material before it was taught. She didn't expect however, the surprise exam waiting for her in her Ancient Runes class.