Holiday Spirit

The end of November approached and the holiday season went into full swing. Thanksgiving came and went with a large feast held in the Great Hall. It was only a few days into December when the Great Hall was already decked in mistletoe, red ribbons and trees. Venus was excited to spend the break with her parents and show them how much she had improved over the year with her powers. Her private lessons had shown their effects as her time to herself was beginning to grow and improve her mentality. She still threw herself into her studies for days on end, but she learned to actually take breaks for herself and have full meals. It helped when her housemates reminded her to eat when they left for dinner, coaxing the girl away from her work.

"Go ahead." Professor Lupin said, opening the wardrobe. A wild Venus appeared with her white hair and pupiless eyes. Her ravenette counterpart smiled at her and didn't shrink in fear when she approached her, starting to freeze the room. Venus hugged the boggart and it shrank into a younger ravenette version of herself.

"Riddikulus!" The little girl faded away and back into the trunk.

Professor Lupin beamed. "Well done! You've really come a long way!"

"Thank you Professor, and I'll have you know, I started taking up ballet again."

"I am glad Ms.Snow, I remember your mother enjoyed it so fondly when she was young, for you to share that again is a nice sentiment."

"Thank you very much Professor. I will see you again on Monday?"

"Actually on Wednesday, I will be taking a few days off this week to tend to a medical emergency."

"Feel better Professor." She said sweetly, gathering her things and heading towards the door.

"Enjoy your birthday, Venus." He called after her and she smiled at the man.

Venus woke up the next morning and felt joyful dread for the day. She received her birthday package from her parents who sent her a much wanted book they had finally acquired, "Olde and Forgotten Bewitchments and Charmes." and an old Latin book that looked centuries old. She smiled at the dusty covers and was excited to read the secrets the texts held, but for now, she had breakfast. Crystal cooed on her shoulder and nuzzled her head against the side of Venus' as the girl finished getting ready to leave. She sat down at her table in the Great Hall, immediately feeling a heavy weight over her as Willow tackled her. Ethan was not far behind with her other Gryffindor friends.

"Happy Birthday!!"

"Happy Birthday Venus."

"Happy Birthday Dear Venus~"

She regretted ever letting her friends find out about her birthday, because that meant they would give her gifts. She was thankful but nervous about being so spoiled. Ethan and Hermione had gotten her books on Elemental Magic and Healing Magic respectfully, while Harry and Ron had put their heads together to get her an enchanted quill that would light up at night when you wrote with it.

Willow had given her a handmade tie for her school uniform. She pointed out that the Ravenclaw one was striped blue, so she simply embroidered snowflakes onto one by hand.

Draco's was the last and most surprising. He gave her snowflake earrings made of pearls and diamonds. Crabbe had delivered it to her with a note that made her heart twinge.

"Happy Birthday Ice Princess. Every lady deserves jewelry as unique as her - Snake"

She had talked with Hermione, asking how she felt about her friendship with the boy. The curly haired brunette had said she never liked the blonde boy but that he had approached her in a civil manner after summer break to apologize for his harsh insult. She was accepting and happy Venus was interested in someone, saying that she wished it were someone else but she approved nonetheless. The only problem was that Harry and Ron absolutely despised the Slytherin boy and may not take as kindly to her want for peace as she did. Venus accepted this, knowing that the three boys had a history that may not be so amendable, which was alright with her because of the agreement they had made in their first year.