Feeling Good

Draco led the girl away towards the stage where the orchestra was playing. He asked a house elf to get a microphone and instructed the orchestra to follow Venus' every word.

"Be kind." Venus said, putting her hand on the boy's shoulder to stop his harsh vocabulary. "These musicians are skilled, I have no doubt they will perform wonderfully, Draco. Now go wait by our parents, I'll take it from here."

She took the microphone stand from the house elf who came running with her Master's request and placed it down. Draco was hesitant but respected the girl's wishes, walked down the short stairs and returned to stand by their families.

Venus looked at the orchestra behind her and smiled sheepishly.

"I don't necessarily have this planned out, so go by ear if possible."

The orchestra smiled at her and nodded, determined to help the girl who had been kind to them.

"Whenever your ready Ms." The pianist said.

Venus cleared her throat and put her mouth to the microphone.

"Birds flying high...You know how I feel. Sun in the sky...You know how I feel. Breeze driftin' on by...You know how I feel.

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life...For me. And I'm feeling good..."

The pianist began to play and set a melancholy tune to the girl's voice. The violinist accompanied, adding a tune every other stanza.

"Dragonfly out in the sun, you know what I mean, don't you know

Butterflies all havin' fun, you know what I mean

Sleep in peace when day is done, that's what I mean

And this old world is a new world

And a bold world...For me... and I'm feeling good."

Venus had long then closed her eyes as she sang but opened them to see her parents and the Malfoy's cheering her on. The room's eyes were on her and her alone as she sang.

"Feeling so good!" Her voice echoed around the room, creating the most beautiful rebuttal effect.

"Stars when you shine

You know how I feel

Scent of the pine

You know how I feel

Oh, freedom is mine!

And I know how I feel...

It's a new dawn

It's a new day

It's a new life...

It's a new dawn

It's a new day

It's a new life...

Yeah yeah Oooooo... And I'm feeling good..." she held the note, feeling her breath hold in her throat.

"I'm feeling good! I feel so good..."

She released the microphone from her tight grasp and curtsied to the audience that was clapping for her. Venus turned and started clapping for the orchestra behind her as well, the room joining in too.

"Thank you." she said to the musicians as she walked down the steps of the stage to an awaiting Draco.

"That was spectacular." He said, no hesitation in his voice.

"Thank you." Venus accepted.

She and the blonde returned to their families who smiled when they saw her.

"That was absolutely wonderful Venus, you have the voice of an angel." Narcissa Malfoy said.

"Yes I agree, in fact, I will mention you to the Minister of Magic for his Christmas Ball later in the year."

"Thank you Mr.Malfoy I appreciate your kindness."

She did not appreciate his kindness. In honesty neither did her parents. It was a silent agreement that Venus and the Minister should not be in the same room together for a long time. He had tried many times before to suede the young girl into taking her Ministry title before she became of age. Every time, she had declined or her parents had declined for her. It was exactly how Copernicus Snow was coerced into working for him.

Venus hid her fake yawn with her hand and excused herself for some fresh air.

"Draco go with her, it's not safe for young ladies alone." Lucius insisted.

"Yes father."