{Plot 2}• chãptèr nïne

Start from the beginning

The wind blew calmly, the sun smiling brightly down at us as proof of the season's change.

"Is that an eager little bird I hear?" Greer asks, walking over to us with a basket I could only pray were full of her sumptuous cookies.

She sits down, dropping the basket between the three of us. Orchid is the first to lunge at it, snatching three and wolfing them down. "Or she's just eager to get a candle from his majesty. They've already gone on one date and now I'm sure the second one would be at the festival" Orchid teases making Audrey burn red.

"I think we've already gotten our answer" Greer giggled, noticing my red cheeks which I palmed embarrassingly.

"It's not like that" I defended all in vein, their sheepish grins making me blush harder.
"what candle?" I asked, hoping to deflect some attention from my current flustered state.

"Okay, let's educate you on Highborn festivals and unnecessary ceremonies" Greer rolled her eyes with a small smile.

"It's a festival where noble men are given candles with their names on it. They give said candles to the ladies they are interested in, it's like a leap of fate. If the ladies accept their courtship or they reciprocate their feelings they light these candles and place them at their windows to alert the men to come to their chambers at midnight" Orchid winked, making me blush harder.

Stupid cheeks!

"And of course there is a party and boat rides for couples. The waters are often decorated with beautiful brightly lit candles" Greer informed, dreamily staring I to the distance like a star struck lover.

"It's going to be your first night together" Orchid gushed, earning a rough smack on the head from Greer who glared at her sternly.

"W-what?" I asked confused. Did I hear right? The two looked like they were planning something, if the way Greer glared at Orchid told me anything.

"What are the two of you up to?" I asked with an accusing tone directed mostly at Orchid because if there was one thing I had learnt about her was she was so clumsy she always fumbled her words when she spoke or tried to lie. "Orchid" I directed my gaze to her.

She visibly squirmed under my gaze, her blue eyes filled with anxiety and feigned innocence. "Nothing Audrey, don't worry about it"

Before I could press any further a maid walked up to us and bowed. "My princess" she greeted, effectively silencing our chatter

"Agnes" I acknowledged

"His majesty requests your presence in his quarters" She informed

"Okay, thank you. I'll be right there" I dismissed and she walked away.

Turning to Orchid and Greer they had the most annoyingly bright wide smile on their faces. I groaned, hiding my face in my palms. "What do you think he wants Orchid?" Greer asked slyly, a wide grin on her face.

"Who knows, maybe they are going to give us a little prince soon" Orchid blurted out, the two giggling like hyenas.

If my cheeks were hot before now they were on fire. Did they just say what they did!??
Before I could probably melt from embarrassment I ran away, following the clear path inside.

Making my way up the grand stairs I couldn't help but let my mind wonder. I'd always walked these halls to my chambers and now why was I feeling anxious?

Breathe Audrey, breath.

I inhaled a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. Reaching the top of the stairs I began my journey towards Darius's chambers. Maybe it was our last encounter that left my insides feeling like jelly or it was the fact that I wasn't pretending like I was supposed to be. It was all real.