thirty-seven

funny, really. how it was temperature-wise hot but yuna was definitely getting the chills. all she heard was some ruckus outside the student council room and within like 5 minutes or so, beomgyu and yeonjun enter the room followed by taehyun. 

well, yuna can somewhat guess the reason why the atmosphere was so heavy. during the past couple of months, during the preparation for the festival, soobin was an intricate part of them. and if yuna was being completely honest, she had even become fond of the man who had the unique ability to cry whenever he wanted. 

and more than yuna, everyone could see how close yeonjun and soobin had gotten. well, to yuna, yeonjun was still a scary authoritative figure and yuna wouldn't dare to act friendly with him. but seeing soobin do that, brought yuna some sense of relief. in the sense that, maybe, just maybe, this man wasn't as scary as he seems. 

kang taehyun walked in and took a seat between yuna and yeosang as his rank deemed so. yuna tensed up next to him. yuna didn't know the deal with this guy and yeonjun and beomgyu but she sure as hell didn't want to get to close him. 

he was nowhere near as warm as soobin was. 

yeonjun cleared his throat, snapping all his members out of thought. he could see the rare, distracted face of the members. looks like he wasn't the only one affected by the absence of soobin. yeonjun looked at the papers in front of him. this room felt like a barren piece of land, really. without a sun. 

"so the contents of today's meeting include, we do have some after-work left after the festival. and the gym has some broken equipment as well, so someone should go check it out and place new orders for it. that's about it. today's work is quite less...do your best." said yeonjun, his voice cold with no emotion in it. 

he snuck a glance at his brother, who was sitting by his side, still fuming. yeonjun sighed and got up. "i want all of you to get moving with the work. no slacking or you shall bear the consequences. beomgyu, get up. i need to talk to you."

yeonjun walked out of the student council room as beomgyu followed suit. 

if he was going to let everything go, then beomgyu should do the same as well. 

--------------------------------------------------

soobin felt...lonely. 

kai was a blessing, really. but he didn't mean that kind of lonely. he had a friend but he was still lonely because he missed his old lifestyle. 

he missed being rank 7, casually chatting away with xion, and his occasional banter with yeonjun. 

soobin buried his head in his hands. he missed yeonjun. 

what would he be doing now? soobin had heard the announcement for the student council meeting, so maybe he was there, diligently doing his work as usual. did yeonjun even think about soobin? soobin hoped he did. 

but hoping for that was a very selfish thought for soobin. after all, he was the one who pushed yeonjun away. he said hurtful words and didn't even bother apologizing for it. 

well, soobin doubted if he even had the right to apologize. 

walking, walking, soobin naturally found his way to the student council room. he could hear some voice from inside which confirmed soobin's thoughts. yeonjun should be heard. 

"beomgyu, you can't keep doing this." said an awfully familiar voice from the room right across the student council room. 

soobin froze and he instinctively inched closer to the door which was ajar. that was yeonjun and beomgyu. 

"do what?" said beomgyu, the anger evident in his voice. 

"okay, beomgyu, listen to me. i get that you are angry, okay? but why are you taking it out on taehyun? he rightfully demanded a match, dueled it, and won fair and square. what wrong has he done?" 

"he took soobin away from you, hyung!" said beomgyu, the anger fading away and replaced with pain. 

soobin didn't want to hear more but he couldn't bring himself to move away from there. 

beomgyu continued. "i have never seen you this happy in years, hyung. actually, i thought i had seen you happy until i saw you with soobin. whenever i see you with him, either bickering or laughing, i end up thinking, ah this is what yeonjun hyung looks like when he's happy, and you have sacrificed so much for me, is it so wrong for me to want you to continue being happy? everyone in the entire world has a wrong image of you, except for me and soobin. i'm your family and I've known you for a long time so of course, i know what you actually are like. but soobin? he's an absolute stranger you met this year. and he comes from a normal family, so he has no idea of all the internal politics involved. i'm sure people around him like xion told him about you, about how you 'killed' our mother and an entire family. but did he treat you differently? no, he didn't. instead, he fell in love with you. he fell in love with the person you truly are. so, tell me, hyung, is it really wrong for me to wish that it was soobin in that room instead of taehyun?"

there was a long pause. an awfully long pause, thought soobin. his heart beating erratically. beomgyu was truly admirable but soobin looked at his palms, disappointed in himself. soobin was not as great as beomgyu painted him to be. 

"beomgyu-ah." said yeonjun, finally breaking the silence. "soobin is a great guy and i...agree with everything you said. to me, he's a precious person and someone i won't forget. but he's the one who pushed me away you know? and on what basis? he said 'i am rank 1000 and you are rank 1'. i have never cared about my rank or anyone else's rank but that was the first time that i wished i wasn't this rank. and what you said about soobin being in love with me? do you really think that is true, beomgyu? who pushes away the one that they love? i'm in love with soobin and that was why even after he lost the match, i didn't care about others, and i immediately went to him. beomgyu-ah, if he truly loved me, would he push me away like that?"

beomgyu looked at yeonjun. no, this wasn't right. he hated the look on his brother's face. it wasn't even sadness anymore. it was like yeonjun was pitying himself. 

yeonjun looked up at beomgyu and gave him the fakest smile ever. "thanks for worrying about me. i'm glad i have such a cute brother like you but about soobin...it's best if we don't bring him up, yeah. like you know, in books once the story arc is over, the next arc begins? let's just consider this as the ending of one arc."

"hyung..." beomgyu started but stopped upon noticing his brother's expression. "okay, then. lets for---"

before beomgyu could continue the sentence, a knock was heard on the door. beomgyu and yeonjun exchanged glances as yeonjun walked up to the door, and opened it. 

"u-uh, s-sorry to in-interrupt y-you both but uh...we h-have a situation in the s-student c-council r-r-r-oom." said yuna, her voice trembling. 

yeonjun perked up, alarmed. what situation? did his dad come? or was it some sort of legal issue? 

yeonjun immediately walked out of the room and slammed open the door of the student council room. his jaw dropped at the sight in front of him. 

on yeonjun's chair, which was situated in at the end of the elongated table, sat soobin, with a smile on his face. 

"ah yeonjun, just to guy i wanted to meet. care for a couple of words?"

what the fck is wrong with him?

---------------------------------------------------------

last update before the new years! it's been a year since i started this book but i'm glad to see yall are still sticking around :))

keep reading, commenting and voting 

love,  

pixiedust :)