Chapter 24

~

'When did you fall in love?'

Luffy thought over Ace's words the entire time in school. It got to the point that Usopp had to repeatedly throw paper balls at him to make sure Luffy paid attention in class. Luffy knew what he felt for Torao was different than what he felt for anybody else but to call it love... Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Luffy just knew he couldn't tell Torao yet until he found out for himself and learned how best to tell it to Law.

"Oi Luffy! We're going to the arcade today! You're coming right?" Usopp asked exiting school with his friend.

"Nah, I have to go somewhere today." Luffy answered getting his phone out.

"Where?"

"Made an appointment with someone." Usopp raised a brow at the lack of explanation but let it pass. Luffy had been really weird the entire day, maybe it had something to do with it. The long nosed boy decided to leave Luffy be for the time being and not push him.

"Ok, see you on Monday! Or before if we made some plans!"

"Yeah! See ya Usopp!" Luffy texted Torao that he was heading to the basement house and to meet him there. Ace was discharged late at the night before so Luffy didn't worry much about his brother and went ahead with his plans. Upon receiving an affirmation from Law, Luffy stuffed his phone in his pocket and picked up his pace, heading towards Law's basement.

"Directly from school?" Law inquired when Luffy appeared in his line of vision. He was still far enough to have heard Law so the older tried again when Luffy neared. "Eager to get your tests done?"

"I get to spend time with you!" Luffy justified, grinning. Law just stared at Luffy, stumped with the boldness again. The older cursed inwardly for not having the courage to tell Luffy what he felt for him and the reason he was looking out for him.

"Stop being so mushy, I don't like that."

"I don't care." Law rolled his eyes and led Luffy down the stairs. "Did you get to sleep last night?"

"That's not your concern."

"Torao you're mean sometimes."

"Don't touch anything." Law warned when Luffy looked around at the machines with stars in his eyes. The place was equipped with all the medical machinery one could need to perform a variety of surgeries and procedures. Law made sure the sterilization vents were working before he took Luffy's bag and put it on a chair in the corner. "Did you eat anything before coming here?"

"Yapp!"

"How long ago was that?" Law inquired writing down different blood tests that needed to be done without fasting.

"An hour." Luffy peaked at the chart Law was making until Law turned around and pushed Luffy towards the bed in the middle of the room. Law put on his crisp white overalls and gloves. "You look like a real doctor now!"

"I am a real doctor!" Law almost pouted at Luffy's laughter but caught himself. "Take off your shirt and lay down." Law said and walked to wheel a few machines to the bed. The older's words threw images of Ace with his lover in Luffy's mind and he was red in the face again. When Law turned back to Luffy, having expected him to be lying down, he found the boy still sitting on the edge of the bed, buttons barely touched, eyes unfocused and face steaming. "You ok?" Law asked and checked for fever. Luffy moved back to avoid the touch.

"I'm fine!" Law raised an eyebrow.

"...sure. Shirt off then. X-ray first, then echo." Law informed and set the x-ray machine while Luffy took off his school uniform shirt and undershirt, draping them at the edge, finally lying down. Law adjusted the x-ray machine over Luffy's chest. "Take a deep breath and hold it when I say so."