Chapter 19

~

"Subject him to activated charcoal, it would bind itself with the poison, prevent more from mingling in the blood stream." Law told Penguin who ran to get the supplies. "Ikkaku, patient gown, now."

"Gotcha." She helped Law take off Luffy's clothes and put him in a gown, attaching monitors. Law took off his coat and got the supplies for taking a blood sample when Penguin got back.

"Law, gloves! And mask." Penguin brought Law's attention to the fact that he was skipping steps, whether on purpose or not was confirmed when Penguin's eyes saw his friend's hands were shaking.

Law was panicking.

"Yeah-" Law quickly pulled on his mask and gloves, trying to get his breathing to become normal and his shaking to stop. He hadn't been able to calm down and he needed to keep his mind level to think up of best possible solutions to save Luffy's life.

"Step back, I will do it." Law relinquished the job to his friend and instead got the machines ready. "Tox screen?" Law nodded and Penguin was away again to analyze the blood for toxins. Law prepared Luffy's left arm for attaching the dialysis machine and began the first cycle. He quickly got a CT and X-Ray done and made a diagnosis.

"Lungs and kidneys look bad." Penguin commented coming back and handing Law the toxicology report. It was bad.

"Speed up the dialysis." Law suggested and Penguin did what he was told while Law paced to think of something fast enough to clean the poison out of the system. His palms were still sweating, the lump in his throat was still there.

"Haven't seen captain panicking, this is very disturbing." Ikkaku whispered to Penguin when Law had paced outside hearing distance.

"He never panics when there is a life on the line."

"Maybe it's because of this particular life?" They both shared a look and came to the wordless conclusion that it was in fact because of Luffy being the patient that this was getting to Law.

"Administer pain meds." Law pointed, urgency in his tone when he got back to the two and saw Luffy's eyes scrunched in what could only be pain, incoherent speech falling from his lips that were turning blue.

"On it."

"What should I do? What should I do?" Law started mumbling under his breath. "Already done with activated charcoal, dialysis is already doing its job but very slowly, what else, what else?"

Ikkaku looked at Law concerned and spotted Clione and Jean Bart at the entrance of the medbay with much the same face. None of them had ever seen their captain look so distraught. His hands were still shaking, he was accidentally stumbling on his own feet while pacing and he kept mumbling incoherent things.

"Got it!!" Law spoke so loud that all four of his friends jumped. "We do a whole body transfusion!"

"That's risky right now." Penguin countered.

"But think about it, he's on dialysis which is slowly cleaning out the toxins and if we put him through a whole body transfusion, it will clean out almost ninety percent of the poison out with the old blood. We get a shot at minimizing the damage to vital organs." Law explained, hands making frantic movements.

"We don't have that kind of blood right now."

"So we do a live transfusion. Use me."

"What're you saying?" Penguin asked just to be clear. Law wasn't actually suggesting he risk himself... right?

"Live whole body blood transfusion Peng, pay attention."

"And transfuse from you?"

"Yes."