Bargain

🖤

Taehyung

Here it is.

The velvety red box was stuffed in the depths of my closet. I made sure I hid it well so Iris couldn't find it. She's always rummaging through my clothes, saying mine are way too comfier.

I open it just to check that the ring hasn't fallen out... I'm just being a little paranoid.

A stunning heart-shaped emerald ring centers the red cushion, studded by delicate diamonds. It possesses an elegant flare. So captivating, enchanting even. Just like her.

The air was knocked out of my lungs once I laid eyes on it. It's so entrancing, mesmerizingly beautiful.

I found the perfect ring, I thought. I imagined how it would flatter her smooth skin and I couldn't resist anymore.

I bought it almost a year ago.

The faith that I had that I will see her again. The determination that I will do the impossible to make her forgive me. That's what made me buy the ring back then.

It was waiting for her because it would never suit anyone like Iris. It was made for her.

With a special request, my name was carved on the inside, being well aware that she will love the addition.

She's gonna love it, I smile to myself and tuck the box safely in my pocket.

"Iris", I sing. Sometimes she can be so impatient and in a hurry to get things done, she becomes jumpy. It's adorable.

Normally, she would reply instantly. Skipping down the stairs, I call again, "Baby."

Still. No reply.

I glance at the door where I left her, but she's not there. I advance to the front porch. She isn't there.

The car keys are still in my grasp, so she can't be inside. But I check anyway... Nothing.

"Iris!"

Pushing aside the escalating panic, I dial her number and search for her around the house. It's ringing, but she's not picking up.

I press redial and check the bedroom at last. Nothing.

Concern resides in my chest. The same feeling that overcame me when she went missing is resurfacing... Yet this time it's more twisted. Heavier.

The line goes dead. She declined the call. Iris never declines my calls.

Unless... It's impossible.

Laura couldn't have possibly reached her here. No one knows about this place. Not even my friends.

I call her again, but it doesn't even ring this time. Her phone has been turned off.

She got to her. She reached her when she was with me. I was supposed to protect my girl from her and I failed.

But she's not taking her away from me. Not again. I refuse to let that happen.

I preach what's left of my sanity and head to my car. There aren't many houses in the area, so it wouldn't be too difficult to search around. She couldn't have gotten far.

I lock the front door, but something on the wooden floor catches my eye.

A blood stain.

Iris's blood stain.

She bled.

Someone injured her and she bled.

Red. My vision turns red. Whoever hurt her, whoever did this to her is going to pay. I'm gonna make sure to drown them with their own blood, they're going to choke on it.