CHAPTER 005 : insanity

(Full paragraphs that are in bold italics mean it is being spoken in Na'vi.)

Jake's POV

"How do you know her?" I ask the woman.

She looks at me briefly before averting her gaze back to Lex.

"Many cycles ago, me and some other children went to a school. Alexis was there also. She was my best friend. She help me learn English and in return I teach her Na'vi and how fight. She is excellent fighter. Then one day, aliens in big machines came and shot at everything that moved. Lexi shielded me from the bullets. I lost my sister that day, and I nearly lost her too. We were so young. I never knew she lived."

I place a hand in her shoulder. But she pushes it off. I roll my eyes.

"We got lost, can you please help us." I plead.

"What happened?" She asks referring to the unconscious woman's state.

"We were trying escape an animal and we had to jump off a cliff, we landed in a river but she never came up for air. I'm guessing she hit her head on the bottom? I don't know. She nearly didn't make it though. Her heart stopped." I punch my eyebrows together, I don't ever want to remember that feeling.

"She's your mate yes?" She asks. I whip my head around and shake my head 'no'. "You lie." She points at me, smirking.

"I am not." I protest.

"Are too. You were protecting her like a mate would protect." She laughs at me, then stands up.

"Wait where are you going!" I call out as she begins to walk away.

I quickly gather Lexi up in my arms and I jog after her.

"No. No follow! No sky people allowed." She looks sadly at Lex. Then mutters something like skxawng. "You are like a baby, making noise, don't know what to do." She groans. "Child."

"Well, if I'm like a child, maybe you should teach me?" I ask.

She looks at me like I'm dumb. "Sky people do not learn, they do not see."

"Then teach us how to see."

"No one can teach you how to see. And it's not her that needs to be taught, she knows how to see. Not you." She jabs her bow at my chest.

"Woah." I inhale a deep breath as I try to balance on a long tree root while holding Lexi.

I nearly trip and she steadies me by grabbing my arm.

"You are like a baby." She spits out.

I sigh. "I need your help." I look down at the empty body of Lexi. "Please take us with you."

"No. Go back!" She looks anywhere but at Lexis face. Like if she does she'll feel guilty and cave.

"No-" I persist.

The woman's head whips up to see tens of jellyfish looking things floating towards us.

One by one they try landing on me but I swerve out of the way. The woman scowls at me and holds me still.

One lands directly in the middle of Lexis head, and anothers land right on her stomach.

The rest divide themselves between the two of us. Most landing on my head and shoulders.

"What are they?" I ask.

"Seeds of the Sacred Tree. Very pure spirits." She breathes out.