CHAPTER 014 : war has begun

Jake's POV

Grace and I somehow persuaded Parker to give us one hour to try and evaluate the People. I vowed to myself that the moment I get them to evaluate I'll come back for Lexi.

Grace still hasn't told me what's wrong with her, all I know is that she had a bug at the start of the week. It didn't seem that bad. Was it? Judging by Graces reaction I could tell it was something worse.

The second we link with our avatars, we run down the spiral staircase to warn everyone.

"Mother! Father! They are awake." Neytiri runs over to Eytukan and Mo'at.

"Eytukan, I have something to say." I plead.

"Listen." Grace backs me up.

"Speak, Jake sully." Eytukan motions for me to continue.

"A great evil is soon us, the Sky People are coming, to destroy Hometree." The People around me gasp and cry out in horror.

I turn to Neytiri. "Tell them to leave or their gonna die." She recited my sentence in Na'vi and Mo'at turns her chin up at me.

"How are you so certain of this?" Everyone stares at me and I look to Grace. Who is looking at the ground.

Here goes nothing.

"They sent me here, to learn you ways so that one day I will bring you this message, and that you would believe it." Neytiri's eyes widen from next to me.

"We trusted you! The Omatitcaya trusted you! You will never be one of the people." She smacks my chest in betrayal. "Did Alexis know?" She shouts in my face.

"No." I shake my head. "She doesn't know anything about this-."

She holds up a hand to quiet me. Eytukan mutters something to Tsu'tey and the next thing I know my arms are being tied behind my head.

We hear the sound of helicopters and plains heading our way. "Run! Run to the forest!"

"There coming!" Grace yells.

"God damn it run!" I shout frustratedly. No one budges.

"Have no fear!" Tsu'tey orders over the whirring of the turbines.

"Take the Ikran, attack from above." Eytukan instructs Tsu'tey. He nods and gathers a few people to accompany him.

I watch helplessly as they fire gas rounds into the base of Hometree. "Run!" I continue to shout as people scream.

Eytukan orders everyone to open fire and hundreds of arrows fill the air.

They barely scratch the glass.

"No!" Grace and I scream at the same time, the main ship launched missiles at Hometree.

I look to my left and see Grace crying. I feel a deep ache in my chest and something tells me that Lexi is in trouble.

Mo'at stalks towards me slowly with a look of malice. She holds a knife to my throat. "If you are one of us, please help us." She cuts our binds.

I rub the aching flesh on my arms and I guide her and Grace to cover.

The bottom of the tree sets on fire and then I remember, Lexi's Avatar! Oh god. She's still inside.

Tsu'tey's POV

"Climb! Climb! Keep going!" I shout as I scale the tree with a lifeless Lexi in my arms. I couldn't just leave her here. We reach the top of the tree and I quickly mount my Ikran, suddenly the whole tree shakes and it starts leaning to one side.

"Fly! Fly!" I shout. The other hunters and I weave our way through branches and leaves. Desperately trying to reach free air.

I lock one arm around my best friends waist and I tightly hold my Ikran with the other.

I let out a relieved breath once I'm clear of the debris.

I make a split second decision of where to put her body. I fly my Ikran to the Tree of Souls.

I lean her body up against the wood of the tree. I place my hands over her face. "Eywa protect her." I pray.

I leave her body with the safety of Eywa and I return to Hometree to look for survivors.