31 | into the akatsukis lair

Start from the beginning

But, Tsunade knew there was a difference between your leave and Sasukes, Lee had rushed to the Hokages office two days after you left, fussing about a letter you left. Which was very adamant to remind them that you'd return, in a year or two. Seeing your past with the Sand, and the recent orientation of a new Kazekage, it looks like you had been in the Sand at the wrong time.

"And two others; one unidentified... And the other, [Firstname] [Lastname]."

The already silent team went even more quiet, as if they stopped breathing in that moment. Their teammate that left over two years ago, had been kidnapped. Perhaps some sort of closure, but not the one any of them were hoping for.

"... Your mission is to retrieve and rescue them, whether alive, or dead." Lee gulped, the possibility of you being dead... It didn't sit well for any one of them. "... I didn't choose this team for personal connections, or because she was your teammate... But because all of your skills had been decided best for the task at hand, so I want you to treat this like any regular mission."

Shizune had advised against it, she already told Tsunade that Naruto wasn't suited for the mission, he himself had already gotten pissed at the news that you and Gaara were kidnapped... Now these were your teammates Tsunade broke the news to, she figured they'd be even worse. Especially Lee. "What? Then we have to go as soon as possible! There is no way I can stand by!"

As Shizune expected, it was Lee who had the first comment. Nejis face never let his emotion show, but she was sure she saw the slight quirk of his lips, and the small furrow of his brows. He had faith in you to return, it was often he thought of you, and a reunion by rescuing you and two others didn't sit well with him. First it was the Mizukage a few months back, and now you, the Kazekage, and one other he'd assume was a Jinchuuriki, seeing as the rest were. It couldn't have been a single person that took the group of you down, he'd seen in person how strong Gaara was—and he knew how talented you were. It had to be a group.

And it frustrated him that right now, you were out there—in the possession of some random people. He looked over at Tenten, a girl from his class long ago. He wasn't sure of her capabilities, he hadn't seen her since he graduated. As far as he was aware, the girl hadn't even made it to the Chuunin exams. But, if  Tsunade decided she'd be the best fill-in, Neji would have to trust her judgment. Though, as far as he was aware, Kakashis team was missing a member too.

So he naturally had to ask; "And team sevens missing member... I'm assuming they got a fill-in for Sasuke, too?"

Shizune tensed. She told Tsunade they both had to get a fill-in, or they'd assume things. "No, they didn't get someone at the time that can be a suitable replacement." Shizune squeezed Tonton more, she also advised against using the word 'replacement'.

'Oh, Lady Tsunade!' She closed her eyes. 'I don't know who to pray for, for Lady Tsunade to not be yelled at, or for Lady Tsunade to not yell at them!'

"A replacement?" Neji raised a brow. "...Well, I don't know what a replacement is needed for. Unlike Sasuke, [Firstname] isn't a traitor to this village. I won't question why you gave us a fill-in, Lady Tsunade. We'll take your word for it and trust this girl." He put a lot of emphasis in the words, 'replacement' and 'fill-in.' And Tenten sure looked awkward now, the last time she spoke to you was when you were both... Twelve. And you left when you were fourteen, you were nice--and you were buying gifts for your teammates.

It sure seemed like you all got along...

"We'll retrieve them," Guy spoke up, stepping forward. He had faith in his student, too. When you had left, and weren't given a retrieval mission like Sasuke did, he was nearly pissed. Kakashis student had put all three of his students in danger, yet you were gone without a word. Maybe that was because Tsunade didn't deem you a threat, but this was as much your home as Sasukes. So now that he had the chance, he'd rush forward and get you back. "We'll stop at nothing."