"Where is Amanda?" Alpha Marcus' booming voice interrupts the serenity of the forest. "Let's make the trade and no one gets hurt!" I growl at his arrogance. The pack seems to agree with their own growls directed his way.

"Yeah, bring that good for nothing bitch out here. I've taken one beating after a-fucking-nother for that worthless human. She didn't even bother to look for us!" Sam screams across the field. I hear Mandy suck in a harsh breath, but again Cora intervenes and helps her control it.

"I will rip her throat out if she doesn't show her stupid, coward face! I've been forced to protect her for years without even a thank you!" Luke growls out. I can feel the heartbreak in Mandy's heart, but I also feel something else. It takes me a minute to figure it out. Determination. She's trying to ignore the words, knowing they are not really those of her best friends.

I see Elder Erik step up to Alpha James. He is making sure Alpha Marcus sees him before he speaks. I see Marcus furrow his eyebrows and his glare intensifies as the presence of the Elders on the battlefield.

"Alpha Marcus, you are hereby stripped of your title for breaking a direct request of the Werewolf Council of Elders. Your war declaration is found without merit. You are ordered to stand down and vacate the premises immediately." Elder Erik announces. Elder Sarah joins him to show solidarity.

Alpha Marcus belts out a hearty, maniacal laugh making many shudder at the sound. I glare at him, ready to pounce. He becomes eerily quiet, but his anger is brooding as his face reddens and his nostrils flare.

"You think I give a damn what the Elders say and do!" He spits on the ground in front of him. "You weaklings will cower before me once I get what I've come for and drain her power dry. I will control the world and no one, absolutely no one will stop me!" He boasts. Growls erupt around our side. "Now....send out Michael's daughter before I have to slaughter this pack and burn it to the ground." He snarls.

"You can't have her. I order you to send over our pack members and leave or we will be forced to defend our pack and our home with deadly force." Alpha James shouts. Marcus looks bored. When no one moves and Amanda does not reveal herself. He walks over to Sam and Luke, whispers in their ear, and steps back.

Sam and Luke's bodies both go rigid and their eyes flash red. Why are their eyes red? What the hell just happened? What did he say to them? Marcus drops their shackles and both begin to shift.

He's using my father's mind control on them. He's going to make them attack their own pack against their will! Bryan, you have to send out a warning to the pack. Please! Don't let them get hurt! Mandy's desperate voice rings through my ear. She knew what happened even before I did. I relay the message to James who sends out a link to everyone in the pack.

Sam and Luke are to be captured and detained. They are NOT to be hurt in any way. Nick and Claudia will be in charge of taking them away from the battle grounds. He cuts the link to the pack and then sends a short message to me, Nick, and Claudia. We will house them in our pack cells and send the pack doctor and my mother to assist in their healing. He cuts the link in time to see Sam and Luke rushing toward the pack.

As they get closer, the pack of Marcus's rogues also run from the treeline as the war begins. Nick and Claudia and myself take charge of handling Sam and Luke while our pack warriors take on the rogues. Before reaching Luke, I see Marcus take a back seat to the fighting. He stands there with a smug look on his face. Your overconfidence will be your downfall, you prick! Max roars in my head, ready to shift and attack, but we must save our friends first.

I'm able to sweep Luke off his feet as his wolf, Saber, slides on his side into a tree. Nick and Claudia have latched onto Sam's back and squash her to the ground. We quickly drag the two, squirming and lashing, around the side of the pack house where the entrance to the pack cells are located. The sounds of war still ringing in our ears and we descend into darkness. We house them separately to ensure their safety and Nick mindlinks two guards to stand watch as well as Dr. Walters and Luna Rachel to check their healing process. After the guards arrive and are informed of the plan, the three of us head back to the clearing.

I take the stairs two at a time, anxious to get back to make sure Amanda has stayed true to the plan. When I arrive, I'm ambushed by three rogues. Luckily, Nick is just behind me and we take them down easily.

"Do you see Mandy anywhere?" I ask frantically.

"No, bro! Mindlink her!" as he runs off to kill more rogues. Claudia flanks him and they begin attacking together. I see Cora fighting a rogue in human form, but Mandy is not beside her.

Baby, where are you?" I can't contain the fear in my voice.

Hiding...for now. You have to wipe out his rogues before we can take him down. I breathe a sigh of relief and tell her to stay where she is until the rogues are gone. I turn my sights on two mangy red and yellow mutts who look at though they've been rode hard and hung up wet. Their smell is so foul I can feel the bile rise up in my throat. They take no time to foolishly rush in and I, being a patient fighter, know their weaknesses before they even reach me. I clothesline one in the throat and then sweep the legs of the other. I stomp out the throat of one, then rip the throat of the other as I flip him over my back and to the ground.

I take a second to take in the scene. Our army is easily defeating the rogues, leaving Marcus to fight alone. He's not stupid. He will have a plan, but what? I try to anticipate his next move. I notice him walking from the treeline and watching the last of his army being snuffed out.

Our pack collects once again on our side of the clearing. I take my stance next to Nick and James. I quickly become aware of Amanda's presence on the frontline. What the fuck is she doing? She's supposed to stay hidden. I see her look at Cora.

Baby? What are you doing? We've got this handled now, you don't have to fight. I try to reassure her that she's safe and, in a few moments, this war will be over. She clasps her pendant and looks at me with sorrowful eyes.

Are Sam and Luke okay? She asks simply. I nod. Good.

"Come out, come out, where ever you are? Come on! Don't be shy!" Marcus taunts her. She stares at him with hatred. I don't blame her as he has wreaked havoc on her life for months, tortured her best friends, and sent threat after threat. I see her take a step forward. Before I can react, she speaks.

"Marcus! It's over! Just give it up! You've lost! You can't have me and I will never be your slave!" I'm impressed by her courage, but nervous she's rattling a hornet's nest.

"Ah! The prodigal daughter decides to finally show her face. Welcome! Now, if you will just come along quietly, no one else will have to experience the pain and anguish I inflicted on your friends." Mandy's face remains stone, but I feel the anger roll off of her. I stare intently at the scene unsure of how this fits into the plan. I know she and Cora discussed something in secret, but I never expected her to face off with Marcus, alone at that.

She takes another step forward. I feel Max come to the surface and give a warning growl as she's being too bold and placing herself in unnecessary danger. She looks at me with a wry smile. This look does little to calm me or Max.

It's time to end this. She looks at me with love, but quickly turns back to Marcus and takes several steps forward.

Stop Mandy! You don't have to do this! I say confused as hell. What the hell is going on?!

Trust me. She does not look at me, but simply glares at Marcus.

"If you want me, you will have to fight for me! I will NOT come easily or quietly!" she shouts again.

"WHAT?!" I'm held back before I can rush to my mate.