16| A Night to Remember

Amanda's POV:

The past few weeks have been a little strange. Everyone seems to be on edge. I chalk it up to prom jitters as most of us have never dressed up or attended a formal ball. Most of those are for adults only. We've spent the last few weeks planning, decorating, and organizing all of the prom details, including the menu which my mom graciously agreed to cater to, the DJ and musical selections, and theme of prom. One downer is Bryan seems especially tense, but only when he daydreams does his facial features express his torment. It's like he has an inner battle going on in his head.

"Bryan? Aren't you gonna eat?" I ask as we sit with our friends at lunch. Everyone at the table seems to give each other side glances.

"I'm not really hungry, but if you want it, you can have it," he deadpans. Not hungry? This man eats like a garbage disposal! What does he mean he's not hungry?! It's my turn to give side glances to Sam and Luke. They both shrug their shoulders as if they have no clue what's going on. I eye them suspiciously.

"Is everything okay?" I whisper into his ear. I wrap my arms around his bicep and move in closer to snuggle up against him. "Are you nervous about tonight?

He turns to look at me with sad eyes, but smiles to try to cover it up. I see right through his charade, but say nothing.

"Yeah, I just got a lot of things running through my mind. No worries, okay? I've gotta go. I'll see you tonight when I pick you up at 6 pm." He grabs his bookbag, throws his food away, places his tray on the counter, and makes a beeline for the door. I sit there amazed. What the hell just happened? Who knew guys could be so intense? I turn back to the table. Everyone is just as amazed as I am, but they seem to know something more about this outburst.

"What? What is it?" I question. "Why do I feel like I'm the only one out of the loop?" I express my annoyance. After a few more minutes of silence and vacant expressions, my anger is only increasing. I hate being in the dark. It sucks! Finally, James breaks the silence.

"You're right." James sighs. "There is more, but Bryan has to be the one to tell you. When the time is right," he explains. Why does this revelation NOT make me feel any better? My heart feels a sharp pain and my stomach is doing flips.

"Mandy, there's nothing to worry about. We are going to leave school, go get our nails and feet done, then doll you up with makeup and your beautiful dress, and then dance our butts off with our guys at prom. It's going to be perfect. So, stop worrying!" Sam reassures me. I come back from the edge, take a few much-needed breaths, and start to feel a little better. I'm still annoyed, but as this isn't the right time or place, I decide to just push it aside.

I smile at her. "If you say so. Speaking of which when are we leaving?" I try to distract myself from Bryan's odd behavior.

"Right now!" Sam squeals in excitement as do Whitney and Claudia. We gather our things and decide to take one vehicle since the boys will be picking us up in the limousine. We decided a few nights ago we would all get ready at Sam's house. We ride in Whitney's fire blue mustang to the salon for manicures, pedicures, and hair. Once we were finished, we drive to Sam's house to get dressed, do our makeup, and put the final touches on our prom looks.

We also decided each couple should rock a different color, so we coordinated and only told the boys the color so they could match. Sam decided on a red form-fitting spaghetti-strapped dress with little beading swirled around the base with a slit up to the mid-thigh. Whitney went with a deep purple ball gown with a diamond-crusted belt. It is strapless with a sweetheart neckline and corseted back. Claudia picked a beautiful coral color that enhanced her olive skin and dark hair. It is a simple A-line skirt that flows out from a fitted bodice decorated with petals. She reminds me of Spring. Finally, I slip into my teal empire-waisted dress with spaghetti straps, ruffled bodice, beaded waistline, and a layered bottom for a little bit of body which made the dress swish when I walk. It has light beading throughout the skirt which adds to its charm. We all help zip one another up. When we turn around, we all squeal at how gorgeous we look.