35| A Day Off

Amanda's POV:

Bryan spent the next week pushing me both physically, mentally and emotionally. To say the least, I am starting to crack. Any strength I thought I had is fading and doubts are stronger than ever in my head. I can't do this. How can I survive an attack? I'm not a fighter. I can barely land a punch. I chuckle slightly at the memory of landing my first punch on Claudia. Everyone was ecstatic. I felt like Claudia let me in, but she swears she didn't. I guess I'll never know.

In addition to learning to punch, Bryan had me learning escape maneuvers and hiding tactics. With my being human, I would never be fast enough to outrun a werewolf, especially an Alpha. But, I could climb. Bryan set up an obstacle course for me to strengthen my climbing skills. He wants me to always have a way to get the height advantage over my enemy. It isn't full proof, but it did ease some of my concerns about facing rogues and other werewolves. My mind drifts to my first experience with rogues and Bryan lifting me into a tree for safety. I guess that memory makes more sense now, too. I shake my head.

With my birthday in two days, the push is on to ramp up my training even more. I am not sure I can take much more. The toll these trainings are taking, the deadline nearing, the uncertainty of my birthday, the mating process, everything. I sigh. I want to cry, to scream, to lash out, but I just sit here with my head low.

"Hey." Bryan says poking his head out of his balcony doors. I'm sitting outside on his balcony for the fresh air and to clear my head, not that it's working. I glance up at him blankly, no energy to even speak. "So, I know I've been pushing you extremely hard all week..." he says nervously, running his hands through his hair. I notice it's gotten sun-kissed from being outside at the training center as well as a little longer. "....so, I brought you a surprise." he finishes. He steps aside, revealing my mother, who's been out of town with former Alpha Xavier and former Luna Rachel, to some conference. She was hired to cater the event.

"MOM!" I shout and I struggle to move my achy body from the bench. Everything, and I mean everything, hurts! Once I have her in my arms, the pain of moving is worth it.

"My beautiful baby girl! Oh, how I've missed you!" she says sweetly. "Let me get a good look at you! My, you've really toned down. You were always beautiful, but now, absolutely stunning." she coos.

"I'm a hot mess right now, mom!" I reply, definitely not seeing what she's seeing. Bryan chuckles and shakes his head.

"She's right. Stunning." his eyes glisten with love and tenderness. I blush. "I'll leave you two to talk. I'll be back with some food and drinks." He winks and walks out of our room. I decided it was stupid to stay separate when we are mates and spend so much time together anyway. Bryan didn't complain at all.

My mom and I sit for over an hour discussing everything that's taken place over the last few weeks. She sits listening and nodding her head occasionally. She's always been a great sounding board. After I finish with every story, I wait patiently for her words of wisdom. She sits silently as she collects her thoughts. My mom has always taken time to formulate her words.

"I think you're ready. In the next 48 hours, your fate will change. I see the transformation happening to you just like it did your father. Your strength will grow, as will your confidence. Besides, you've surrounded yourself with a strong circle of people. That's the one difference between your father and you. He was alone. Never had the strength of a circle," she explains.

"He wasn't alone, momma! He had you!" I protest.

"True, but you misunderstand. He only had me. He needed a strong circle. He lost his fight alone to save us. He never stood a chance alone. When the time comes, you will need your circle. Do not cloud this fight with pride or ego or even love. You will need them just as much as they will need you." she concludes. I nod in agreement. A comfortable silence falls between us and we both ponder our conversation. Bryan returns with food and we eat lunch together. After lunch, my mom takes her leave and heads home.