Ch. 54

This day was one of the longest of my life. My apartment was quiet and empty without Lana studying in her little office. Usually, ambient sounds of a coffee shop played on a loop from her smartphone. She joked that it was the only way she wouldn't gain weight from frappuccinos and chocolate chip scones at a real cafe. When she told me that, I bought her a caramel frappuccino and scone from the kiosk in my apartment complex. Instead of being frustrated by my sabotage, she kissed me. A deep, breathtaking kiss.

I'd tried calling her all evening, but it went straight to voice mail. Without a viable job for her brother, I wouldn't be able to make amends.

This was my fault. Lana didn't even know I was to blame for her brother's firing. I wanted so desperately for her to tell me the truth about her past that I had drawn absurd conclusions. I spent the entire evening playing temp agency, calling all my contacts for any leads. But I had royally fucked up. And it might have been the reason I was losing the one thing I desperately wanted in my life.

The mechanical gears of the digital lock turning brought me to my feet from the couch. I glanced at my watch. It was already after 10:00 p.m.

Lana entered the foyer and I rushed to greet her, my heart beating fast as I sought her face for a sign that we were okay.

She stood frozen, unable to greet me. I watched her place her helmet on the ground beside the door.

"Hi," I started, shoving my hands in my pockets so I wouldn't frighten her with an unwanted embrace.

"Hi. I'm sorry to come so late, but I left a couple of textbooks I need," she said, walking toward the study room I'd set up for her.

"Hey, we need to talk." I followed her like a lovelorn teen.

She shook her head. Her hair in a low ponytail, swung side to side against the nape of her neck. "I can't. I have to work on my group assignment."

"You can work on it here."

Placing her backpack on the table, she unzipped it. "I think it's best that I work at home." She kept her eyes averted as she began packing her things, taking more items than I thought she needed.

"Are you not planning to come back?" I asked when she took all of her little knickknacks and favorite fountain pen ink.

She paused, then continued packing her books. The backpack expanded with each new item. "I don't know if I should."

"Lana, we haven't discussed anything since you called me earlier this morning. I thought—"

This time she stopped to glare at me. "You thought what? That my brother is some petty thief? You know I can't tell you if he's... you know, the robber. And you can't trust me because I'm a convicted felon." She turned to zip her backpack, struggling to make it fasten over a large book's spine.

I sighed, shaking my head and rubbing my hand over my hair. "It's my fault."

"What's your fault?" she asked wearily, draping her heavy sack over her shoulders.

"Did you happen to read the paper today?"

She rolled her eyes. "I was too busy consoling my sister-in-law and promising her that I would help him find a job somewhere." I proceeded to explain everything, pulling up the article on my smartphone so she could read it. When she handed me back my phone, she looked shell-shocked. "Mr. Brassi did this?"

"Mr. Bras... do you know him?"

"Yes," she answered.

I straightened and crossed my arms. "How do you know him?"