Ch. 47

An unexpected buzz came from the front door as I placed a tumbler in the sink. The melted ice had watered down the bourbon. After Shannon had left a bad taste in my mouth, I'd lost my craving for my favorite drink. I'd sat in a stupor. My entire life had flashed before my eyes. Instead of seeing my accomplishments, I listed my failures—and they had become innumerable.

Another buzz sent me jogging to the front door of my apartment. Admission to my floor was limited. The front desk had to ask for permission to send up a visitor, but this time I hadn't received a call. "Who is it?" I asked gruffly.

"Lana."

I grimaced, wondering how she'd made it here. I opened the door. She was still dressed in her gown.

Behind her stood Manny. "Sir, will you need me the rest of the night?" His presence answered all my questions about Lana's access.

I shook my head. "Have a good night," I told him, pulling the door open for her to enter.

As soon as she was inside, she took off her heels and tossed them to the corner. She groaned when her feet absorbed the coolness of the tile flooring.

I stared at her as she placed her clutch on the foyer table. The door closed with a gentle click, automatically locking. "Why are you here?" 

"We need to talk." She gave me a half-smile.

I retreated into the living room and she followed me. "Why? I thought you were angry with me. That I lied. You made it clear that you don't want a relationship with me or any man. You returned the money and the bike. There's really nothing more for us to discuss." I sighed.

With my back to her, I slouched. Exhaustion seeped into my marrow and I wanted her gone so I could sleep. I needed time away from the battle between us. My armor was irreparably damaged and the damsel in distress was incapable of soothing my wounds.

"Brady?" The material of her lilac dress swished closer. She moved up behind me and touched my shoulder. The sensation was both comforting and objectionable. I may have inadvertently recoiled because she pulled her hand away.

I shook my head. "I'm tired." I picked up the lap blanket I'd covered myself with earlier and commenced folding it.

"No," she said. "There's something else that troubles you."

I avoided her gaze and set the blanket on the arm of the couch. "Where's your brother?"

"I dropped him off at my place. He's a big boy. He can take care of himself." She smiled.

Averting my eyes from her, I turned off the muted TV and set the remote on the coffee table. "You should be with him."

"I need to clear the air with you," She said evenly.

I finally looked at her and raised a brow. "And then what?" I shrugged, keeping my hands in mid-air. "What happens after we clear the air?"

"I don't know." Her voice quivered. "I thought maybe we could, you know, continue as we were before." Her voice trailed off as I glared at her.

Summoning all the strength I had, I smirked. "Before? Before you found out about Perla and pushed me away? Because I have every right to push you away after you lied to me too." She nodded, walking toward me. I stepped back, flinching from her attempt to touch me. She dropped her hands to her sides.

When she tipped her head back, tears welled in her eyes. "I had a long talk with Perla about what happened. She didn't give me all the details, but she made it clear that you two have no romantic interests in each other."

I crossed my arms. "Clearly. She's married with a baby."

"And he looks nothing like you, so that helps." She bit her lip when I didn't return her smile.