Ch. 17

Valerie's assistant opened the office door, ushering me in. Valerie and Perla sat waiting for me. "What's this?" I asked. My heart beat wildly at her presence. My anger had cooled since our board meeting, but at seeing her, the fire roared in my core.

"After your meeting a few days ago, Perla called me to discuss the events that had transpired," Valerie informed me. "She claims you'd verbally attacked her on a business issue and she believes you're still harboring some ill feelings and can't move past them now that she's back from maternity leave. She asked permission to attend this session."

My muscles tightened. I fisted my hands. "No. Absolutely not. This is my time, and I don't want her here."

Perla looked to Valerie, who sat forward and said, "Brady, with all due respect, the purpose of our sessions is to help you resolve your feelings or any issues you may hold against Perla. She's here to help."

I looked up at the ceiling, smirking at Perla's audacity. "Or is she here to get her salary and bonus back?"

Perla shook her head. She looked at her fingers laced in her lap. "Brady, I don't need the money. You know that. If you feel I failed the company and deserve to be fined for the losses incurred, then I accept it. I'll gladly sacrifice my earnings. Hell, I don't even need a salary to be part of Pentagon's board. My husband and I are well-off, and I don't work at Pentagon for the pay or the benefits."

My hands lifted, remaining in the air. "Then why do you?" I shrugged. "Why are you—"

"Brady? Sit." Valerie spoke in a low, soothing voice. I stared at her. Instead of my usual place on the sofa, I chose an armchair opposite Valerie. Perla sat on my side of the couch, which caused my territorial nature to stand guard. Valerie didn't utter a word for a few minutes. "Perla," she said finally, "Brady asked you why you work at Pentagon. I don't think he wants you to answer that question."

"I do too," I snapped.

She ignored me, keeping her full attention on Perla—as she'd always done during joint sessions. "What I think he wants to ask you is something else entirely." Valerie turned to me. With a raised eyebrow, she said, "Brady, we had a discussion a week ago about an incident in which you thought Perla was involved. I think this is a good time to ask her if it's true, don't you?"

I stared at Valerie. In her customary form, she sat back with her hands in her lap. She waited for me to speak. "You sent her after me," I accused Perla, glowering at her.

"Who?" She tilted her head.

"Lana!"

"Lana? What do you mean I sent Lana after you?"

"She propositioned me for sex."

Her mouth dropped open and she clutched at her chest. She looked at Valerie. "What?" Dark curls shook, cascading around her shoulders. She narrowed her eyes at me. "You're lying. Lana wouldn't do that."

"She did."

She turned her whole body to face me. "When?" Her tone was even, a distinct quiver in her voice, encouraging me to give details.

"A week ago."

She leaned back. Her arms widened as her fingers splayed out in front of her. "How? Why? You have to give me more than that."

I sat back and ignored her. She may have acquired her poker face from her husband, but I wasn't falling for it.

"Brady," she said, "if my former intern—who is now an assistant manager at Pentagram— propositioned you, you have to give me details." There was a tone of sincerity, encouraging me to reveal all the details that I couldn't relive. I had felt used and humiliated—by both of them. But it seemed that Perla truly had no idea.