Ch. 20

My focus depleted with each passing hour as I waited to hear from Lana. The gift I'd sent her should have arrived. Other than the delivery confirmation, I needed notification from her. When I resolved that my gesture was too much, I dug into the pile of reports I needed to analyze.

At around one in the afternoon, my cell buzzed with a text from Lana. I tipped my head toward Cory, my assistant to give me privacy, and he rose to leave. On his way out, he closed the door behind him.

Caramel-dipped strawberries, sir?

Smiling lasciviously, I answered, Of course.

Do you know I almost moaned at the meaning of them? My heart leaped in my chest. I cupped my mouth, containing a laugh.

What do they mean? I texted the query.

You know. She replied.

I bit my lip, containing a shudder. Enlighten me.

They symbolize my body, she typed.

Caramel on top of the pinkish-red I pictured last night. Did you bite into one? I could almost taste the juice and the sugar on my tongue. Did the inside resemble you?

Stop. I'm in PUBLIC, and I'm blushing right now.

I'd like to see that, I texted, smiling.

A long time passed before she replied, You will. Soon.

How soon? My blood ran hotly in my veins. I could hear my heart pumping wildly, anticipating her timeline.

Don't be mad. Two weeks.

I ran my hands through my hair, typing with one finger in disbelief. Two weeks? You're kidding. That's too long.

I can't be fit in. Not an emergency!

I typed furiously, For who?

Public, remember?

I'll schedule you with our concierge doctor, I typed. He'll refer you to a gynecologist that will fit you in ASAP.

No response.

In the meantime, I called my assistant to make arrangements. After an hour of no response from Lana, I texted her, Second thoughts?

Working! I have a really demanding boss who expects me to drop everything at his whim.

My body relaxed. I smiled through my sigh of relief. Good to know. Dinner! After your last class. No exceptions!

I don't want to date you.

Fine. Check your email for info on your appointment. Ms. Coto, you will not miss that appointment, even if it means missing time at work or class. I want you."

Public!

The banter between us made me hopeful that she would want more than one night. When we both weren't so resistant, our encounters seemed easy, unforced.

I was enchanted by Lana.

*****

At the mopeds and motorcycle parking on campus, I stood under my umbrella, listening to the patter of rain overhead. I waited for Lana to exit class. Before long, she scurried toward her bike. Her helmet was on, protecting her from the rain.

When she saw me, she stopped dead in her tracks. "Mr. Clay. What are you doing here?" Her voice was muffled by the constriction of her jaw.

"Taking you home. Come."