Ch. 25

The master of ceremonies began the program. The fundraiser for solar lighting resources for underdeveloped, third-world nations, hoped to raise money to install sustainable power for non-daylight hours. With a curt nod, I left Matt and returned to my table.

Many questions about Lana ran through my mind. The first thing I wanted to do was order Marty to do a full investigation of her. Instead, I concentrated on the program, awaiting my turn to speak.

When introduced, I hastened to the podium. My long-prepared speech explained Pentagon's history with charitable programs to fund social and economic causes, reporting how much we'd raised over the last fifteen years and how it somehow seemed like a drop in the bucket. I announced my previous plan to donate half of my personal wealth to causes near and dear to my heart. I urged our guests to give and enhance the lives of our fellow man.

Once I concluded, the room stood in ovation. I caught the eyes of our guests, humbled by their applause. I nodded, shaking hands on my way back to my table. When I looked at Lana, she was applauding. She turned away, smiling at Perla, and sat.

My mother hugged me, planting a kiss on my cheek. "You did good, Shay," she spoke into my ear. I shook hands with my guests.

Our meals were placed in front of us. The lights lowered. The orchestra played instrumental music as we dined. Racked with guilt, I wanted to find Lana. Maybe break the ice by asking her to dance. We could talk and clear the air.

She wasn't at her table, so I walked from one end of the ballroom to the other, seeking her out. Just when I didn't think I would find her, there she was, in deep conversation with Brigit. Lana shook her head and stepped away to leave, but Brigit continued talking. Lana was too polite to walk away. My attempts to reach them were thwarted by a guest who rose from his chair to shake my hand and praise me for my speech. By the time I escaped, Lana had left Brigit and walked out the large double doors.

When Brigit saw me, she attempted to ignore me and practically sprinted toward the safety of Garvey's table. I commanded her to stop, and she did. When I arrived at Brigit's side, I asked, "Didn't I tell you to leave me alone?"

She sneered and folded her arms. In her stilettos, she practically towered over me. I could only imagine how intimidating she must have been to Lana. "What are you talking about? I haven't bothered you, Brady."

"You did when you talked to her." I pointed in the direction of the doors where Lana exited, and narrowed my eyes as I got closer to her. "What were you two talking about?"

She shrugged, glancing over at Garvey's table. "Who?"

"Don't play coy with me, Brigit. Lana. The woman you were talking to."

She folded her arms, jutting out her breasts as she leaned forward. Even in the dimmed light, the whites of her eyes were bloodshot. "I only asked her about setting up a party for Garvey. She gave me the details, and said she had to leave." I could smell the sweet scent of champagne on her breath.

"Stay away from her," I warned.

With a hand on her hip, she said, "Excuse me, Brady. She's the help. I can and will talk to her whenever I want." She glowered at me.

Before I could respond, I heard, "Evening, Clay." I turned to see Jacob Garvey extending his hand.

"Garvey! Here to escort your lady to the table before she causes trouble?" I asked jovially, taking his hand.

"If you think I have control over her, then you really don't know her."

I smiled and patted him on the back. "I don't think any of us will truly know Brigit." I contained a sneer.