Ch. 10

The lobby of the convention hall bustled with guests for our grand opening gala. Chatter and laughter created a magical feeling. Women wore their finest gowns, no doubt one of a few worn in rotation for these types of social events. The men wore classic tuxedos, either a little too snug or too short at the sleeve. I wore a custom-tailored, Italian navy tuxedo specially made for the occasion. I scanned the room to find people I know. The usual Boston socialites, news anchors, entertainers, and rich people gathered in comfortable clusters, prattling on about tonight's festivities.

I watched as they oohed and ahhed at the opulent décor. From the ceiling to the carpeting, no expense was spared to attract the eye. The team I'd abandoned had done an amazing job at ensuring the Pentagram's construction had finished on time and on budget.

Going around the room, I gave my customary salutations to the guests. I smiled past the women's lingering eyes and nodded at the indifferent looks from the men. I was both revered and reviled. Those dueling emotions fueled me.

With a huge smile on her face, my mother found me through the overwhelming crowd. Meeting me halfway through the room, she lifted her arms to embrace me. Maggie May, as the family always called her, was my rock and my weakness.

"My sweet boy, this place is truly amazing. I know you know that, but you've outdone yourself." She said in her Irish lilt.

My mother always gave me all the credit for every Pentagon success.

"It's a team effort, Ma. You know that," I countered, lest someone overheard and tattled to my partners. This was all mine.

"You're so modest." She winked.

"Where's your date?"

"She's standing in front of me." I smiled.

Her head snapped up and she looked at me through green eyes buried under long lashes.

"Seamus, really?"

The lights dimmed, and the doors opened signifying the start of the event. She took my arm, and we walked into the ballroom.

"Ma, it's Brady, please." I looked around to see if anyone had overheard her use of my legal name.

She rolled her eyes and sucked her tongue in frustration at my unappreciative dismissal of my grandfather's name. "You have so many lovely ladies trying to vie for your attention. The least you could have done is ask one to be your date. What will people say when they find out you're alone?" She whispered the last word as if it were a curse word.

"They'll think I'm a lucky bastard with you on my arm."  

"Don't be so cheeky." She slapped my bicep, looking around the room as if she was looking for someone. "Have you seen her yet?"

My heart beat loudly in my chest. Had my mother somehow learned of Lana? "Who?"

"Perla. I saw her and Matt at the reception, but she had to take a break and nurse Petey."

"Petey? Is that his nickname?"

"Yes. It's sweet. She wanted to honor her father by giving him an anglicized version of Patricio, so she modified the nickname too. She looks beautiful."

I resisted the urge to shudder at the thought of Perla's appearance—her body taking on a motherly figure. She was Matt's problem now.

We arrived at my table. Over a hundred tables were set up with fine linens, crystal, dinnerware, and silverware. With the low lights bouncing off the crystal chandeliers and place settings, the room shimmered. The Big Band played a tune while the guests shuffled about, looking for their seats. The servers hurried around them, placing open bottles of wine on each table.