Chapter 44

(A/N: Thanks for 20,000 reads and over 1000 votes! Hope you guys enjoy the double update today. XxD)

******************************************************************

Angie didn't want to wake up.

She'd heeded Scott's call for help as the Beast attacked the school and she'd run at that creature with everything she had left in her. She didn't have the energy to mask her scent and while Scott was pulling himself off the ground, he could smell the heartbreak, the emotional pain that she reeked of. Braeden's shotgun eventually scared it off as it went crashing through the window in the library and Angie simply lay on the stairs, covered in her own blood as Scott had done weeks prior, and she didn't want to move.

She'd bought Scott time to get its scent and now she was done. She wanted to be dead. She wanted the pain to end.

She didn't want to wake up.

But apparently, Lydia had other ideas for her.

After hearing the rest of the story of Marie-Jeanne and calling Angie's father, Lydia rushed to the school where everyone was picking up the pieces of the battle and Angie was still lying on the floor, insisting that she was fine and that she'd heal and to help everyone else first. Lydia struggled, but she was eventually able to get her into her car.

"Lydia," she groaned as she held her hands to her wounded abdomen. "He won't listen," she panted. "He left."

"No," Lydia insisted as she strapped the seat belt over her. "He hasn't left yet. And you are the only one who can convince him. I know you can."

Angie was barely conscious as Lydia zoomed down the highway to where Jordan had just run over a strip spike. He got out of his car, completely annoyed at the state of his tires before the sound of police sirens drew his attention to the side of the road where Noah was parked.

"I don't remember giving you any vacation time," Noah remarked as he turned off the siren but kept the lights on.

"Those were new tires," Jordan replied, his body aching all over.

"Well, they're scrap rubber now," Noah said as he approached the young deputy before punching him in the face. "Much like you're going to be after what you did to Angie."

Jordan groaned as Noah flexed his fist. "Sheriff, the last thing I want to do is hurt Angie. I'm leaving so she can stay safe because I love her. I don't know how I'm going to live without her but I'd rather deal with that pain than the pain of carrying her dead body to a magic tree in the middle of the woods!"

"I know all about your dreams," Noah said, his hands holding onto his utility belt. "And I know my daughter. I know my Evangeline. If she says you're a protector, then you are. And how do you know that the bodies from your dream are there because you didn't stay?" he pointed out. "Because you weren't there to protect them?"

"And if they are there because of me, that would make me worse than the Beast?!" he exclaimed.

Noah only rolled his eyes at his stubbornness. Of course, this would be the man his daughter chose to love.

Jordan caught the small object Noah threw at him to reveal his badge that he'd left on the Sheriff's desk before he left.

"You know that's not true. You wouldn't be one of my best deputies if you were a bad person. And you wouldn't be the person my daughter chose to love if you were a bad person. That's what she'd been trying to get you to understand all this time."

Jordan didn't get a chance to answer as a car pulled up.

He could feel her. She was close and she was hurt and it made him anxious, so very anxious.