Chapter 16

Angie fought through the headache Eichen always gave her when she went inside, especially when she heard Lydia scream Stiles' name. Jordan had wanted to go first with his gun out but now that he knew everything, Angie was the one leading them as she headed in the direction Lydia's voice came from, her claws at the ready. Jordan was still sceptical of everything but he trusted Angie and he knew she'd never do anything to put her brother at risk as he blindly followed her through Eichen and to the file room.

Into the file room, where Brunski had sunk a needle into Lydia's neck as Stiles thrashed against his restraints.

Angie let out a deafening roar as Jordan stood by her side, his gun at the ready. "Drop it!" he ordered. "Take your thumb off that needle and slowly withdraw it from her neck."

"Young deputy. You're just kids. I bet you've never even -"

Jordan didn't hesitate as he fired his gun and Angie lunged as she tackled Brunski to the ground.

"You hurt my brother," she snarled. "And you won't live long enough to touch him ever again," she promised as she slammed him into the ground for good measure before shifting back and breaking Stiles' zip ties. "I got you Mischief," she said as Parrish freed Lydia.

"He killed my grandmother. He was controlling Meredith," Lydia gasped as Jordan helped her undo the ties around her ankles.

"He used her to create the dead pool," Stiles panted as Angie pulled him up and into her arms.

"And he killed her when she tried to help us," Lydia informed as Stiles rushed to help her up, Jordan still with his gun aimed at Brunski's body which was lying still. And it was a good thing too because he jerked as he coughed up blood, not quite dead yet as Angie threw herself in front of Stiles and Lydia as she growled. And Brunski had the audacity to laugh.

"You...You think it was me? That I was controlling her?" he wheezed before laughing again. "Idiots. She was controlling me."

And those were his last words before his head lolled to the side and the life left his eyes.

Good riddance.

"Oh god," Lydia exhaled.

"What is it?" Angie asked.

"It's not him," Lydia answered. "He's not the Benefactor."

"No," came another voice. "And he wasn't on my list. But he was a bad person," said a very alive Meredith Walker.

******************************************************************

They'd taken Meredith back to the station for questioning but so far, she hadn't said anything. Stiles was in the hospital with Melissa seeing as he had a concussion and Lydia refused to leave the station until Meredith started talking. And so far she'd said words, but just not words that they could comprehend.

Angie was relieved that her father was back at work and so was he, he was getting rather tired of bedrest even if his arm was in a sling. His daughter also refused to let him go for an extended period of time without taking the pain she knew he was in.

They knew Meredith was definitely competent enough to be charged because she'd managed to trick Kate into opening the Hale vault, blackmail Brunski into helping her and create a hit list and pay for its completion. But the problem lay in the fact that while Meredith was in custody, the dead pool was still in play. They didn't need to stop the dead pool, they needed to stop the money. And the only way they could currently do that was through Meredith who wasn't saying anything.

It was well past dawn when the psychologist was done with Meredith only to have stuck out. Along with a very tired Angie and Parrish emerging from the evidence locker to reveal the fact that everything in Brunski's office pretty much amounted to nothing.

That's when they relented to letting Lydia talk to her only for Meredith to reveal the fact that she'd only talk to one person. Peter.

Everything always seemed to circle back to Peter. The one name not on the dead pool.

But, before she could walk into the interrogation room with Peter and everyone else, she got a text. "Oh crap," she swore as Jordan realised she'd stopped walking.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Derek. They've got a small army of hunters after who's left on the dead pool. They need my help to buy Lydia and Stiles time to stop the dead pool," she explained, and she saw the worry in his eyes.

"Angie, I know you can take care of yourself but, are you sure you want to do this?" he asked, and she nodded.

"I'll be more helpful with them than with Meredith. But Jordan, I need you to promise me that no matter how much pain you feel from me, you'll stay here, and you won't come after me," she asked as she closed the distance between them, almost standing chest to chest with each other.

"Angie-"

"Promise me."

He nodded as he saw the desperation in her eyes. "I promise."

Her phone was still in her hand as she pulled his face towards hers and kissed him for what hopefully wasn't the last time as his hands hugged her hips. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Tell my dad that I love him. He'll lock me in that room with Peter if I told him."

He nodded again. "Be careful."

"Likewise."

And with another quick kiss, Angie let go of him and ran out of the station.