Chapter 22

The problem with Jordan's plan of getting into the temple, was that Kate and a Berserker still stood between them and the entrance. And even with the Calaveras, they weren't going down without a fight.

Seeing as Angie couldn't exactly fight either one of them without putting herself in the crossfire, Chris tossed her one of his spare handguns as she fired, trying to aim for the holes in the animal skull. At least until her eyes landed on where Braeden was crying as she held Derek's head in her hands, his eyes closed and his chest not moving.

"No," she gasped, not wanting to believe it as more tears filled her eyes and she bolted over to him as she dropped her gun, unable to hear his heartbeat.

"Angie!" Jordan called before trying to follow after her and being stopped by more bullets being fired past him. He was then reduced to watching as she shook Derek, begging him to wake up as her hands became soaked in his blood before she looked up to the sky and let out a heartbreaking howl - a howl that sounds at the loss of a member of the pack.

And not even Jordan could stop her as she looked down at her hands that were covered in the blood of her best friend, her oldest friend, and she drew a spiral with that blood on the stone he laid on. And Angie let go of her control as she shifted, and her roar was full of pure unbridled, animalistic fury as she charged at the Berserker.

She didn't care about the bullets that hit her or the bones in her fist that broke as she punched over and over again, letting the moon charge her up as her blows actually phased the creature and its armour began to crack. All she cared about was getting to Kate. All she cared about was avenging her friend and saving her brother. And this Berserker was standing in her way.

Heartbreak. That was the umbrella term for all of the things Angie was feeling right now, anger, grief, love. But powerful things can be born from heartbreak.

She climbed onto the shoulders of the Berserker, giving the hunters a clear target of its body as she began to push its skull inwards, trying to make it shatter. Angie didn't think she was strong enough, but when she felt a graze on her arm and looked up to see where Jordan was clutching his as a stray bullet nicked it - she lost it. It was the last straw.

Her roar was so powerful that Kate was forced to shift back. It was so powerful that inside the temple, Malia and Liam were forced to change back. It was so powerful that it even caused Scott and Peter to falter as they tried to fight it before returning to their battle.

It was so powerful that it gave her the strength to break the Berserker's skull, the creature collapsing into a pile of bone with a flash of golden light as she somersaulted onto the ground as she looked over to Kate.

Kate had shifted again after Angie destroyed a Berserker, killing hunters like she was swatting flies before she growled, "You're next Aarya. I'm coming to kill you next."

The old woman merely let out her electric bat as it crackled with electricity.

"Come, la Loba. Let me show you how the Calaveras die," she invited, and Angie only rose to her full height as she heard Kate roar.

"I think I'd rather see how an Argent dies," she interrupted, and Kate seemed a little nervous as she faced the enraged alpha, only to let out another roar again. Angie was quick to reciprocate, but before either woman could lunge, a howl cut through the air. A howl of a wolf, not a werewolf.

And from the mist that coated the desert emerged a wolf with pitch black fur as it came to stand at Angie's side as they faced off against Kate, Braeden completely confused because Derek's body was gone. But Angie wasn't confused as the wolf's eyes glowed blue and Kate growled at it before it lunged at her.