Chapter 17

(A/N: A second chapter because I felt like it. Hope you enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

"They'll be ok," Scott promised Derek as they all stood in Argent's old warehouse, unable to do anything but wait for the hunters to come.

"They've got claws and fangs, but they're not fighters," Derek pointed out as he approached Braeden who was standing near Kira as she loaded her shotgun.

"That's why I called you," Scott replied.

"Well, try to remember that I don't have claws and fangs anymore either."

"That's why he called me," Braeden said. "And that's why I called her."

And the group turned to where a woman was standing with her hip popped out as a motion detector rang. Satomi's pack, or what was left of it, bared their fangs as they growled but Angie Stilinski only smiled.

"What a welcoming committee. And for little old me. I feel special," she smirked sarcastically as she made her way over to where the four of them stood as Chris grumbled before going to reset the sensor.

"It's fine! She's here to help," Scott assured the rest of them as Angie walked up to him.

"Scotty, nothing personal," she said before she punched him in the face and he stumbled back, Kira crying out as she checked to see if he was ok. "That was for keeping the third cipher key from me. And you," she said with a sternly pointed finger as she addressed Derek. "Don't think you're off the hook either. I'm taking pity on your human state and will wait till after we live through this to punch you."

"And I suppose I should be grateful?" Derek asked, not at all phased by her threat. They were frequent – actually, they were constant when they were in high school. In fact, he rather missed them when she was taken by the alphas. 

"Damn straight you should be," she retorted before throwing her arms around him. "I don't want you to die."

Derek didn't get a chance to reply as he let go of her and Kira said, "Am I the only one still hoping that this is all just a false alarm? I mean, it's possible that we could wait here all night and nothing happens? Right?"

"Possible? Yes. Likely? Hell no," Angie answered and Kira's face seemed to fall.

"Is there any update from Stiles or Lydia yet?" Braeden asked.

"Peter just arrived when I left. Meredith said he's the only one she'll talk to," Angie answered and Scott and Derek exchanged a grim look at the mention of Peter's name.

"Stiles and Malia are heading to the lake house. They're trying to stop it," Scott continued.

"What if there is no stopping it?" Brett asked, turning all the attention to him. "What if it doesn't stop until we're all dead?"

Angie only met Derek's eyes as they grinned. "Then we send a message of our own," she spoke up.

"Let's make tonight perfectly clear to anyone with a copy of that list. It doesn't matter if they're professional assassins, hunters or an amateur who just picked up a gun. Anyone who thinks they can hunt and kill us for money is going to be put on another list. Our list. They get to be a name on our dead pool."

And Braeden cocked her gun in emphasis of Derek's speech as Angie let her eyes glow read.

She made her peace with dying long ago when Ennis first bit her, so she was happy to die protecting these people tonight. But that wasn't going to happen. They weren't going to die and they weren't going to lose.

The dead pool wasn't going to kill them; they were going to kill the dead pool.

******************************************************************

Angie was bouncing on her heels as she stretched out her arms, trying to control her nerves as she revelled in the memories she shared with Jordan over the last 24 hours. It kept her calm for now so she could use every bit of rage and adrenaline she could muster for when the hunters came.

"You seem stressed," Derek said as he approached her, and she cracked her neck.

"You're not? A banshee predicted your name, Derek."

"I know. But you know I'm not about to go down without a fight. And I take it you aren't as well?" he said with a small smirk.

"I made a promise to someone - several someones. I said I'd be back. And I intend on keeping that promise," she replied as she reached her arms over her head and stretched her body to the side.

"Would one of those someones have anything to do with why Scott says you reek of sex?"

She'd been lifting her leg up to stretch it when he said that, and she almost lost her balance.

"What?"

"Ange, you're wearing a man's shirt. And you got to rub Braeden in my face so it's only fair that I get to do the same."

Angie gave him a dumbfounded look as he crossed his arms over his chest. "You know, for a grown man, you act a lot like a teenager," she pointed out.

"Who is he?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm surprised Scott couldn't tell by the scent of this shirt. It's Jordan."

Derek's smile was smug. "I told you he was obsessed with you," he grinned victoriously and she only shook her head at him.

"But it's more than that. We're connected, Derek. And I mean supernaturally."

"How?" he asked with furrowed brows.

"We can feel each other's pain. If you shot me right now, he'd be able to feel it. If he was shot, I could feel it," she explained. "I had to make him promise not to come after me no matter how much pain he felt me in."

"I've never heard of something like that before," he admitted.

"I think it has something to do with whatever Jordan is, so I was maybe hoping to scour your family records for some answers?"

"Of course. Anything I can do to help," he answered, and Angie flew into his arms again.

"Is this -"

"A just-in-case hug. Because I would like it on record that I was the first person outside your family to love you and I'm always going to love you, Sourwolf."

"I love you too, Evangeline."

She shoved his shoulder as they pulled away from each other. "I still can't believe Paige told you that, Samuel," she fired back.

"Likewise," he returned as he glared at her for the use of his middle name, but before any more bickering could ensue, the motion sensors went off, but it wasn't Angie that set them off this time.

"They're coming," Chris announced as everyone readied their weapons.

"Angie, you know what you have to do right?" Derek said as he chambered a round into his gun and the girl shifted.

"Survive," she answered before they heard the sound of metal canisters hitting the ground.

"Get back!" Braeden warned, Satomi's pack backing up into the warehouse that used to be an office space, and the smoke grenades exploded. And then came the gunfire, a sound that fuelled her adrenaline as she let out a deadly roar that could be heard even over the gunshots.

And the battle began.