Prologue

A light flurry of cherry blossoms float through the air with a melancholy peace like the first snow of winter. They hover weightlessly between the hilltops surrounding the humble village of Ukiyo and reaching out over the island coastline. Many soar out to settle over the waves, forming a starscape within the tide.

But this certain little flock flutters through the wide open sliding doors of Ukiyo's ancient dojo, landing gently in the soft hand of Jin Makino. She contentedly places one petal on the surface of the two steeping cups of tea before turning to greet the newly arrived challenger for the Sakuhin Wakare, eagerly awaiting his appointed time. The ancient tradition accepts a challenge to the death against Ukiyo's champion, a title passed from Jin to her apprentice. The battle, meant to display glorious honor in creative methods of combat, is said to grant entry to a paradise for warriors where their lifetime of battle is compiled into a gallery of memory. This is to be shared with the other warriors in this paradise, called Kessaku, but also imparted to the mortal world to inspire warriors to rise up.

He clears his throat, "Your village is hardly what I'd imagined it to be from all the rumors, Lady Makino. It's so... pleasant."

Jin carries the tea and hands one of the cups to the massive warrior with a polite bow of her head. He nods gratefully, handling the frail opalite cup with care. She walks silently with a swift grace to stand at the open, sliding doors looking over the village down the hill. Slowly stirring her own tea she answers with a gentle smile, "Such a shame to put it that simply, but would you mind telling me about these rumors you've heard of my home?"

The warrior looks rather silly sipping from the dainty teacup, dwarfed by his gargantuan, rough hand as he sits cross-legged on a small cushion pondering his response, "Stories change through the realm as they pass between mouths. Some are clearly the ridiculous musings of overactive imaginations, tales of night cults and cannibalistic witches. Meanwhile, others find Isle Irusu's seclusion from the moonlit scourge a rather suspicious anomaly."

A slight frown forms on Jin's face, "I would imagine crossing the Kromitic Sea isn't necessarily a priority for mindless beasts driven by bloodlust. Even in the season when the tide is calm, what would possess them to cross it?"

He strokes his beard with a pensive grumble, "They are rather relentless madame, and I've seen many that are far from mindless. I assure you, other islands off the coast of the mainland have been overrun by single beasts wandering from the Gravelands. Perhaps not as far out into the sea as Irusu, but we know the sea itself is filled with horrors and many could simply fly over the waves. I suppose they're still too distracted with those of us blessed with great strength by Aelionos to venture out to your humble haven?"

Jin sighs quietly with a roll of her eyes, back still turned to the visitor, "I am sure you've earned much of your strength under your own will. One does not just randomly appear in the mortal realm with your mountainous stature."

"Ah yes, I had forgotten the folk of Ukiyo have some... alternative opinions on the gods."

"We each believe as we wish, we just live in times where a lack of common conformity tends to be deemed traitorous." she mutters with a subtle frustration. "Anyway, I assume some of those rumors must have intrigued you enough to make the journey."

The warrior nods slowly, "So it is said... Ukiyo, a sanctuary of bloodshed, a world's worth of graves, a congregation bound in worship of...." He hesitates.

Jin looks back at him curiously over the statement, clearly not accepting it to remain unfinished.

"...of the Sensei of the Painted Souls, you are quite the legend across the realm in your own right. Let alone your champion apprentice."