Favian - 26

Approaching the Dawnthrone with newfound confidence, Favian still feels a wave of anxiety as he looks onward at the Empress' welcoming grin. I still believe I've done nothing wrong... Even with my hidden motive, I brought Yumi to the capital and the dojo's practices have ended... I didn't lie to them...

Empress Hayate gives a polite bow of their head, still smiling as they speak softly, "You lied to me, Mister Beaumont."

Why did they say that like a joke? "I'm uncertain of what you could mean, Empress." Looking over at Raelyn, his cheerful disposition is shadowed over with a grim mood; draining the confidence Favian had found a moment ago. Yumi has returned to Sapha's side, who seems to making an obvious effort to ignoring Yumi.

The Empress laughs lightly and gestures toward their eyes, which shimmer with a tealish glow. "I have seen enough to at last understand your request. I had feared you sought the dojo's assistance in your death, and regretted providing an escort without any form of protest. Raelyn had suggested 'accidentally' giving you the wrong timing so you'd miss the supply ship... But I decided we should honor our deal and, at the very least, Saphaberea would complete the task we agreed on."

Yumi quietly gasps, "Saph..." Sapha cuts her off with a raise of her hand and a shake of her head. Yumi disappointedly understands the distaste for the name, pouting over the denial.

Hayate continues, "I had foreseen such potential in you, and it pained me to think I'd assisted in you seeking an end. So, while you were away, I continued to seek visions of the truth." A mischievous grin, like a masterful strategist cornering their foe, flashes across their face. "So I say again, you lied to me."

Favian can feel a tremble in his legs. Being caught in dishonesty is far worse than taking the chance to confess. He lowers his head in shame. "I am sorry, empress. My dishonesty was out of my fear, not an intent to deceive... I underst..."

"Fear? I suppose that is true, but I believe it belittles your wisdom, Mister Beaumont." Hayate stands from the Dawnthrone and descends the stairs. For such an imposing figure on the throne, the empress' height falls short of everyone in the room. They approach Favian and with a gentle touch on his shoulder they speak with a hushed tone. "The echoes of my halls fall on many ears. I know not what your family sought, but I could see the despair in your ambitions to redeem them. And their senseless execution at the hands of the temple, you have my condolences. May we speak privately on the manner once I have welcomed our guest?"

For weeks, Favian had expected his plan would sour and result in his execution. Now, a clarity washes over him that he had not anticipated, which leaves him feeling foolish. "I still must offer my apologies, your highness."

Hayate whispers too quiet for the others to hear. "No, you have mine. These realms are mine to rule and the justification of your fears reveals my failure." Removing their hand, they walk past him to Yumi. "Welcome to Taikira, Miss Koizumi, I..." They halt in their steps as their eyes glow once again, their head whipping to one side after a few seconds. Looking back up at Yumi sadly, they sigh slowly with pity. "Raelyn... did you happen to notice if any of the priests saw her arrive?"

Raelyn shakes his head. "I took the long way to avoid them. For my own sake, of course. Is something the matter, your highness?"

"Unfortunately, bringing her here may become an issue. Miss Koizumi, you have had an... altercation... with high priest Saito?"

Yumi's confused look fades into a blank dissociation, fuming with fury. Her eyes start to spark with that violet glow and the empress takes a step back. "Raelyn, lock the palace down immediately, no one may leave for any reason. No one can know she is here."