Favian - 39

As Favian enters the candlelit bookshop, he is immediately comforted by the familiar musk of an aging library. I can't imagine this lighting does the eyes any good, but I do have to appreciate the ambiance. It's odd how old these books smell if they're filled with conspiracies... I would have thought writers like that would have surfaced in my lifetime... Although, I suppose that would explain how the temple hasn't interfered with the business if these are just records of old imaginations.

The shopkeep turns from a scroll rolled out on the counter into the candlelight. Favian is immediately struck with his entrancing violet eyes and oddly menacing grin. An eye pendant on a chain around the man's neck glints in the dim light. "Welcome, young man, may I help you with anything?"

Something about the man sends a chill through Favian. I can't sense him... it's like he's not even there... "I'm new to the capital. A friend thought I might find something here I've actually never read before to pass the time."

"Pass the time? How fortunate you must be to find yourself able to so freely explore..." The man turns back into the shadows to return to the scroll, running a finger over it. Favian could swear the characters on the parchment glow as his finger passes over them. "Most of these books are nothing more than ludicrous rantings of fools that should have never been handed a pen. I'd think the rampant rumors would satiate your youthful curiosities."

That's a fascinating business model.

The man chuckles as if hearing Favian's thoughts. "Hardly a way to earn the coin to pay off the priests for tonight's measly ration. Could I help you find anything in particular?"

Favian hums in thought, a little too perplexed for anything to come to mind.

The shopkeep brings an ornate tea cup to his lips before glancing over. "Perhaps something about the culture over the sea on Isle Irusu?"

Does this guy know who I am?

Another ominous chuckle. "Isn't that what everyone is talking about? Some young Myrlysian managed to sweep some girl from Ukiyo off her feet and didn't realize she was a witch that could kill the Dunereaper himself in the blink of an eye?" Turning to Favian the man smirks. "I heard the Myrlysian is a shapeshifting moonlit that..." He takes another sip of tea. "...matches your description."

Favian can't think of any point in hiding the truth. "I guess the lips around the palace aren't the tightest."

"So does a shapeshifter turn into a puddle in a bucket to rest or do you just not need to sleep?"

Favian tugs at his scarf. "I'm sorry... I'm nothing like that. Just a typical mortal. How many stories have you heard?"

The shopkeep laughs as though Favian told the funniest joke he'd ever heard. "Heard? I do not hear stories, young man." He catches his breath before smiling again and practically hissing through his teeth. "I tell them."

Favian slides himself away slightly, suddenly not feeling safe. "I'd... um..." He tries to steel his resolve. "She's not a witch. Tell them whatever you wish about me, but... You shouldn't make things up about her... She's been through too much already."

A slight scowl on the man's face. "I'm sure a luxurious life in a palace with a future ensured in legend as the next reaper is such an unfortunate set of circumstances."

"No... I mean... I'm just..."

The shopkeep chuckles again. "Relax, my friend! You've brought us yet another unstoppable beast for the throne to leash." Turning away once again, he nearly vanishes into the shadows. "Who wouldn't be grateful?"

Favian turns with hesitation to leave, his discomfort overcoming his curiosity. Just then he hears a footsteps descending a staircase he hadn't noticed before. An older short, plump man with thick bifocals gasps at the sight of Favian. "Oh my dear boy, I apologize! My blasted aging ears failed to inform me of a customer!"