Kaiya - 27

Another day comes to a close as the sky darkens over the sea and an immaculate display of stars emerge from the depths of the heavens. How much longer could we possibly spend following this herd? I can't make a move until I'm sure what Inei is up to out here and now he's not acknowledging I'm on the ship...

Kaiya looks over to see Michi being relieved for the evening at the helm and realizes there is something she can do. Michi seems clearly on my side, but the rest of these girls have barely looked at me... I need to know for sure I have their trust or I'm not going to have a crew to return to the mainland.

Michi joins her at the banister overlooking the glowing herd of moonlit aquatic life. "Looks like something's on your mind."

Kaiya checks the deck for Inei before answering. "Who do we have behind me? I only know for sure that you're willing to help me."

Michi smiles sheepishly, "You have the whole crew. They're ignoring you on purpose so Saito doesn't realize his time is running out."

"That's wise, but he hasn't left his quarters all day. I want to at least talk with some of them... If we're planning a mutiny I have to know what they need and what we're planning to do."

Michi shrugs, "I'm not sure any of us know what we want, but something about you made me think this was a chance to change things..." She nods to a pair of maidens finishing up a cleaning regiment. They walk over cautiously before Michi addresses them. "The four of us will meet down in your cabin, lets just take separate routes in case Saito decides to randomly wander the halls. We don't want him getting suspicious."

The two girls walk away silently as though they'd heard nothing. Michi gives Kaiya a reassuring smile. "I realize all this secrecy may seem unreasonable... But being raised in the temples you learn silence is invaluable for survival..."

I'm not sure I want to know what survival means in that case... Kaiya returns a soft smile before stepping away and murmuring back. "I just need to know I'm doing the right thing this time... rashness has cost me too much..."

Michi lowers her head sadly and waits at the banister as Kaiya descends the stairs to make her way to her quarters. Lanterns hung along the walls light the empty corridor. The longer I spend on this ship, the more ridiculous the size is to me... We could carry a small city and yet all we have is a small crew... And they act like this is normal for the temple... pointlessly lavish displays when a ship a quarter of this behemoth would be enough...

Her heart stops for a moment as she hears footsteps in a hall to the left ahead, but one of the maidens turns the corner and walks by her without so much as a glance her way. Pointless... but at least it keeps more distance between myself and Inei... an appropriate ship would make it impossible to avoid him... Kaiya's imagination wanders for a moment, picturing the ship filled to capacity, safely exploring the seas instead of struggling to survive the crisis plaguing the mainland. I suppose feeding them all would be daunting, but there'd be enough if we just returned to Irusu to....

Her heart sinks as she no longer imagines a faceless community filling the halls with a joyful warmth. Now they do have faces. Faces she knows all too well and will never see again. A creeping chill crawls through her as she realizes the people she would offer this floating city to are now lost. I can't imagine Ukiyo would have come along, but they would have deserved a chance for this far more than what they were given... They couldn't have hated me that much, they were just scared of my father... If I'd just gotten to know more of them then maybe.... No... I don't deserve that after what I did... What I let him do...

Kaiya's legs don't seem to want to keep walking, their weakness making her trip. Tumbling to the floor she leans herself against the wall and struggles to get her breathing back to normal. Suddenly, she's startled as an open hand reaches down in front of her.