Kaiya - 4

Slipping out of bed, giving Yumi's hair a gentle pet as she sleeps peacefully, Kaiya heads out of the dojo as the sun rises. I definitely should have made it home last night, father's going to be such a pain in the ass today. Oh well, if that was my last chance to be with her then it's worth it.

Walking through Ukiyo this early things are so tranquil. None of the children are out playing, the market is a few hours from opening, the only signs of life come from the sea birds calling out over the waves. The population of Ukiyo is rather small, a hundred or so, but this time of day makes it seem even smaller. Kaiya prefers when things are silent like this, when the village folk are out she can hear their whispers about her family. Walking through takes forever with Yumi, everyone wanting to talk to her and ask for her help with something or about her latest paintings. They usually act like Kaiya isn't even there, nothing more than Yumi's shadow. Aside from not growing up in Ukiyo, Kaiya really is unsure what made the villagers so wary of her presence.

On the other side of town, a path leads between the hills to the mansion her father had built before they moved to Ukiyo several years ago. The estate is not exactly large by mainland standards, but for what needed to be sacrificed in size to satiate the locals the elegant details in the architecture rivals the capital cathedral of Taikira. There's still more than enough room for herself, her father, and the small staff brought along from the mainland. The one time Yumi visited, she commented it's impossible for any house in the world to have more unnecessary extra rooms. Her father was fairly clear at that point that inviting anymore of the locals may irreparably damage their reputation. As she walks through the gate she notices torchlight illuminating one of the windows. Guess I'll be dealing with him now, so much for making breakfast for him to soften the mood.

Sure enough, as she enters and passes her father's study, she hears an exaggerated clearing of his throat. "This is hardly a way to make a first impression on your betrothed."

Kaiya sighs and walks in cautiously, "I can imagine you had much to discuss that would not have required my presence." Or allowed it.

"Indeed, and yet impatience over your absence was shared between us over the evening. How dare you slight the man like this, do you care at all about our name's honor?"

Her fist tightens, "You won't have to worry about that much longer now, will you?"

Botan sighs, leaning his forehead into his hands, "Kaiya, the man just became high priest of the Ignited Temple of Taikira. If you won't accept taking his name as an honor then at least see there is no shame in it."

"I'm sorry father, but I'll never accept that, you've ensured there is no greater name than our own" That has to soothe him a little.

"Marrying Inei Saito makes that truer than you must realize."

So that's his name, I don't recognize it. "I may need you to elaborate to fully understand, father. You hadn't even mentioned his position prior to this morning."

"Joining our families will be a glorious tribute to Aelionos' service. His blessings will pour over us for generations."

What generations? He honestly can't be expecting me to just spread my legs for this stranger just because I have to marry him. "Is that some way of saying there will be a lot more money to throw around?"

He looks up from his hands with stern eyes, "Oh hush, go get some rest and I'll send the maid to help get you into something a bit more proper than those robes." Although living in Ukiyo for several years, Botan has never grown accustomed to the simple local clothing in favor of lavish fashion.

Kaiya offers a polite bow and heads to her room, slipping between her blankets to doze off for an hour or so until the maid sheepishly wakes her to prepare. The traditional silk dress she puts on is far from comfortable, too stiff to relax, but should be acceptable to her father's expectations. Usually, Kaiya would sooner stab the maid than allow any makeup and today wouldn't be any different if her father's tired eyes hadn't made it clear how much this meant to him. I can't imagine why getting rid of me like this would be a sentimental experience. I have to wonder if there's something more to this, it's happened so fast.