Kaiya - 48

Kaiya is bewildered by Michi's news that Inei has already returned. Could they have been so lucky for the entire council to have been at the capital awaiting Saito? She had been willing to wait as long as it would take, but she's eager to begin the assault.

Michi fidgets with her hair. "Kaiya... I think something is wrong, he didn't seem himself."

"He hardly has any will of his own at this point. Of course he seems a little off."

"No... I mean he seems frightened. He demanded to speak with you immediately as if it was urgent."

That does seem a little too off. "No reason to keep him waiting. Where is he?"

Michi turns for the door. "On the main deck."

When they reach him, Kaiya sees what Michi means, the man looks ill with paleness. "Did you gather the council together?"

"What?! Oh yes, the council of light has been summoned. It may take a week to—"

"Why are you here prior to their arrival?! Did you at least recover the artifact?

He reaches into his robe and pulls out a small torch. Near the head there's a quartz clasp studded with gems; aside that it's only a simple wooden torch. Kaiya takes it and hands it to one of the younger maidens to take below deck. Inei claws at his head. "I had to return, danger arose, she... she should be dead..."

Kaiya isn't all that worried with whatever is bothering him so much. If the council is on the way and they have the artifact then they're still on course. Hiyoko seems curious, "Who should be dead?"

Looking out over the banister at the palace, Kaiya doesn't believe her ears when she hears his answer. "The girl from Ukiyo!"

No... Has he lost his mind? Is he just talking about me? She turns back in frustration. "What are you talking about? I'm the only girl left—"

"She survived!"

Kaiya wants to lop his head off with her sword. How dare you mock me? I killed her myself and... You have no right to torture me with hope. "You're telling me Yumi is still alive?!"

Inei nods. "I saw her! The murderous witch attacked my men and killed several with her dark magic."

Magic?!? Did I break this psychotic priest's mind? "You're lying."

Michi grabs at Kaiya's arm, but she shrugs it away. "I killed her myself, did you mistake someone for her and come running back against my orders?"

"She held a blade of lunarian steel! I am not so foolish not to recall how the girl looked!"

Kaiya doesn't want to believe it. If Yumi is alive and in the capital there's only one thing she could be looking for. She wants me dead... She wants revenge for what I did...

Michi grabs Kaiya's hand and pulls on it. "Love, I–"

"What, Michi?!?!" Kaiya shouting makes Michi flinch and cower.

But she keeps a tight grip on Kaiya's hand. "I think... I think it..."

Kaiya follows where Michi is motioning. Akkokaido is standing on deck, returned to its smaller form. "Now what?"

"I sensed a deepening distress."

"Oh you think so? I was just told the girl I thought I killed might be right there in the capital."

Akko rumbles in thought, looking over to the palace. "The one to which your heart was once tied?"

Kaiya's gaze falls to the floor and she feels Michi's hands tighten on hers. She returns the grasp and pulls Michi a little closer.

Akko looks back at Kaiya. "She is within the palace."

"You... You can sense her? She's alive?"

Akko nods slowly, its wings closing in. "Her heart is strong. The empress has called me to present her to be the next reaper."

Kaiya feels the warmth of blood leave her face. No... you can't give her that kind of power... that's too much... unless... does the empress want to help her stop us? She's going to become a reaper and destroy the whole temple and she'll kill me... and... She looks over at Michi, whose eyes are wet with tears. Behind her Thyra and Hiyoka are waiting with concern. She'll kill all of you... Because of me... She couldn't forgive me? If I go ashore and find her right now would she take me back?... no... everyone's dead because of me...

When Kaiya looks back at Akko it has stepped closer and looks her in the eyes. "Beware your maelstrom child."

Kaiya draws Shihai and its crimson glow roars with thunderous power like never before. One last look at Michi, she kisses her cheek softly before stepping forward to the god. I have to protect them... She'll never stop... This is my fault...

"Akkokaido..."

"Young one, please hear my council—"

"Destroy Taikira."