Favian - 10

The Kromitic Sea is an unpredictable beast with its own mind and moods. Prone to remain suspiciously calm for hours to then suddenly feud with itself with conflicting currents strong enough to set vessels completely off course without a skilled helmsman. Those tasked with sailing hardly struggle with the temperamental waters, as the unqualified never made harbor again anyway. Regardless of experience, all the sailors are well-aware a far greater threat than the sea itself lays claim to the caverns below. Captain Ren made it very clear the prior evening to everyone on board that they are to remain calm and as silent as possible.

Favian does not feel calm, hiding out in his cabin to try and stay quiet. In fact, whatever the reason is for needing to remain calm? That's very much making it impossible to stay calm. So he chooses to leave his quarters and see if perhaps Sapha has any suggestions for his research.

After revealing the true intentions of his mission, Sapha simply hummed with a nod and waved him away. Considering she seemed willing to allow him to carry out the research as quickly as possible for him? There was not much reason to risk bothering her further. This is the opportunity he needed, a partner that can keep him safe and doesn't seem opposed to some snooping. I still don't have an inkling of an idea if my parent's research will have any relation to the lack of moonlit on the island. But considering it's the only place in the world free of them, there must be something going on.

Admittedly, Favian is surprised to have gotten this far. Now they're almost to the island and he can't help but feel guilty about the deception he used to get here on the boat. Not to mention the Ukiyo girl who may have unknowingly taken the fall for this to happen. And the dojo sensei, but yesterday Sapha only mentioned getting the girl. I wonder if Raelyn forgot to put both in the contract... Or maybe Sapha doesn't think the sensei will resist? Couldn't she be more threatening than the girl? What if she misspoke and really is only here for the challenge ritual? I'm overthinking again, but I just can't stop wondering how she saw through my plans... How is it getting around so fast I was raised below? I don't think I look that different from the mortal pe...

A knock on the door breaks his train of thought. He answers it to Ren. "Everything alright, Captain?"

The Captain smiles, "Yes, young friend! No need to lay low any longer. We are free of the beast's nest."

"What sort of beast? Have you had to deal with it before?"

He grumbles in contemplation, "Dealt with? No, praise the gods. Sighted from a safe distance once, but never contested with it. It's a serpentine behemoth of sorts that's rather territorial."

I wonder if any water-bound moonlit managed to escape the sun like our people... "So why not sail around the territory just to be sure?"

"A ship floating through doesn't bother it. I'd wager it slumbers too deep to notice. But, the creature is said to be empathic; and emotional outbursts tempt its wrath."

Favian pulls at the lengths of his scarf awkwardly, realizing bothering Sapha in his boredom may have endangered the whole crew, "Do you have any idea when we will be making port?"

Ren checks his log on a small leather journal kept in his jacket pocket, "Tonight, well after sundown. Would you and your partner like to join me for dinner and a drink or two this evening? Might as well pass the time with company now that we've reached the calm waters surrounding Irusu."

Favian smiles warmly from behind the scarf, "I'll try my best to coax her out of hiding."

Ren grunts and wanders off to return to his duties. Favian makes his way down the hall, pausing as he reaches the door and hears the muffled voice of Sapha speaking within. It doesn't seem like lonely musings, it seems purposeful like she's speaking with someone. It would be rude to eavesdrop, but... He resists the temptation and knocks. Sapha's voice abruptly stops and moments later the door opens, "Oh, it's you. Come in, I guess."