Kaiya - 21

How many days has it been since we set out? All the wine makes everything slur together. Kaiya tries to recall how many times she's watched the sun pass over head, how many times Michi has visited her in the evening, how many short conversations she's tolerated with Inei. Almost a week, maybe more? Depends if I lost any days to the bottle... No matter how long it's been, today is just the same as all the others. A brief conversation with Inei which ended with Kaiya awkwardly excusing herself after he kept asking questions about Yumi. Why would he think I'm comfortable talking about her casually like that? He should at least have the sense to see she's the last thing I want to think about right now.

Whoever they are looking for on the Kromitic, they have failed to find any trace of them or any life whatsoever. Inei has continued to ignore any questions she's had about their destination and Michi refuses to offer what she's aware of out of fear for what could happen. As frustrating as it is to have no clue where she's being taken, she's more frustrated that Michi and the other girls have to be scared of the high priest. I genuinely do not understand how my father could be so dedicated to the Ignited Temple when this is how they behave. Botan had never pressured her to study sacred texts of Aelionos as extensively as he had over the years, but she knew enough to find her impression of Inei confusing to say the least.

Maybe father didn't care about me studying because I'm a woman... And if this is how the priests treat women, why would he bother encouraging me to learn anything? She stops herself at that thought, scolding herself for allowing the bitterness towards her marriage to cloud what she knows of her father. Father never mistreated any of the mansion's staff, they seemed like family to him more than me sometimes... And he did send me to train with Jin... And he let me read whatever I wanted, it's my own fault if I didn't read enough.

Looking out over the banister of the deck has reached its limit of entertainment for today. She turns and walks over to Michi, who has been at the helm for at least two hours. "Is there anything at all I could do to be helpful? I'm losing my mind just staring into the distance."

Michi seems shocked by the request. Despite getting to know Kaiya for the past week she still expects the daughter of Botan Endo and bride of the high priest to enjoy being an indulgent brat. "I can't imagine we have anything you should dirty your hands with, we have everything taken care of for you."

"I don't care about getting my hands dirty, I used to help..." Kaiya winces, trying to push the thought of Yumi away, yet again.

"It's okay, I understand. Honestly, there's nothing to do right now. Anything the girls are up to is just to look busy in case Saito comes up on deck."

Kaiya looks at the wheel in Michi's hands, "Someone always has to be steering the ship, right?"

Michi nods, eyeing her suspiciously as she anticipates the next question.

"So show me how and you can have a break. You've been on the helm forever your arms have to be getting tired."

"They are not. What would Saito say if he came up and I'm resting while his newlywed is doing the work his staff is supposed to be doing?"

"I don't care what he says, I would tell him I demanded out of the boredom he's brought on me with this wretched 'honeymoon' we're supposedly on."

Michi shakes her head. "You know that's only going to piss him off and then he'll just take it out on one of us." She looks over with a sweet smile. "So I also know you wouldn't do that."

Kaiya crosses her arms rebelliously, "I wasn't finished, I know how to deal with that. I would then push him overboard, use the skills you're about to teach me to turn this behemoth around, and run him the fuck over so we can all go home."