Favian - 19

Walking back to the village, Favian listened to all Ruko could tell him about Nox. Even though nothing in particular stood out as a connection between his fathers' research and Nox's presence on the island, the legends were still interesting. Nox doesn't cause madness among mortals, instead he seems to be a caretaker for those set on the path. Although some say he directs that path toward a deeper madness for his own benefit. The Ignited Temple apparently hates him even more than Aruna herself, believing him to somehow be responsible for mortalfolk ever worshiping the night gods in the first place. Favian imagines that theory isn't even worth considering. The only theory in Favian's mind is that a temple to Nox doesn't mean he has any sort of presence on the island, if he were then that would potentially draw in the moonlit, and this mission has failed to move him any closer to a cure.

What he sees as they approach the inn doesn't seem any better on the front of his assigned mission. Yumi walks out the door, headed toward the path leading up through the forest to Ukiyo. Ruko sees her and practically trips over his own feet. "Gods above and below, what the hell is she doing out of Ukiyo?"

Favian quickens his pace to stop her before she gets too far ahead. Her athleticism on display earlier makes him nervous she could bolt into the forest like a spooked rabbit. "She said she accidentally got lost and ended up here instead. I offered her my room, she looked like she hadn't slept for a week. I hope that's okay."

"Of course, she's always been welcome here. When did you..."

Favian calls back before he rushes after her, "Early this morning! Sorry to run off, hopefully we'll have some more time together. Thank you!"

Ruko waves awkwardly with a chuckle before walking up to the nearby produce stand to socialize. Favian starts to catch up to Yumi, but is relieved to see Sapha cut her off from leaving the town. Although, the relief vanishes when he realizes Sapha seems much more prepared for a fight than the carefree, moody mercenary he'd been around the last couple days. Something in her stance just seems like she's expecting to defend herself. He's close enough to hear neither of them say anything, Yumi's stopped though and that gives Favian the chance to get in the way of whatever may have been happening. I thought Sapha said she wouldn't face this girl head on, what happened while I was gone? "Yumi? Are you feeling better?"

Turning to Favian, he expected some intimidating death glare, but she seems awfully excited and beams with a smile at seeing him. "Favian! I'm so glad you made it back before I left. I waited for a bit, like a few minutes, but I really need to get home. Thank you so much for the book, I'm not done with it yet; but it's wonderful."

Sapha has not shifted her demeanor in the slightest, so Favian tries to distract Yumi. "You aren't rushing it for my sake, right? I told you to keep it."

"Oh I never do anything slow, but don't worry I'm not missing anything." She proceeds to quote one of the poems in Nuvian, giving Sapha a playful look.

So she's fluent in Nuvian, she didn't need a book in common... Now I feel bad, I have that collection without the translation in the same pocket... Keep distracting, I don't want either of them getting hurt. "Your Nuvian is... Lovely."

That does get a reaction from Sapha as her steady composure deflates with dejected annoyance. Yumi giggles, continuing in Nuvian "Hear that Sapha? He said I sound lovely." Sapha shakes her head as she crosses her arms, Favian feels confident things are defused for the moment. "You said you were heading home?"

"There's a lot of work to do, and I spent half the day resting. Ukiyo needs me."

Sapha finally speaks up. "I'm afraid it's not that simple."

Yumi crosses her arms sassily, mirroring Sapha. "I'm not taking any more challenges for the Sakuhin Wakare. Especially not here, that's not how it works. I'm going home... I'm sorry if you came here for me... But things are different now."