3. On the Edge

"I wish....Despite how much it would break me, I would send you back to Nornui, if only to keep you safe as much as I could."

....Send me to Nornui to keep me safe?

You say it would break you but...what about me? What about me, Riftan? You keep me safe, you desire to but...how can I keep you safe?

...When do I actually ever keep you safe?

TWANG

Maxi had never witnessed the effects of magic altering time for it was unachievable and not to mention could cause massive repercussions by those who sought to do horrible things. Afterall, a massive change could take place within seconds. But the seconds turned to frozen time as Maxi felt the danger spike through her. The breeze sent a chill down her spine, and suddenly the pain was pushed aside by pure gut instinct. A soundless scream in her head or maybe aloud, she couldn't tell anymore.

Everything moved so slowly.

Riftan's eyes widened, blackened orbs drifting past her shoulder, a glint of steel in them and Maxi felt the pull, the instinct she instantly reached for. Her heart thunders in her head as her breath catches in her throat in terror, her eyes shivering in fright as her body spins around, hand swiping across as she screams in terror.

The earth thunders and roars beneath her, the force jutting up spiraling air and sending her hair in a dizzying inferno ever so briefly as the thunder and shaking fades in a thunderous, final boom that resonates in Maxi's head. Sweat drips down her body, the cold chill sweeping through her as she remains standing, hand still outstretched and palm open.

The earth at their feet stands taller than Riftan in a thick ragged block that holds steadily but Maxi was loath to drop it so soon, heart tremoring in pain as she sees the protruding silver tip of an arrow just sticking through the block of dirt and rocks.

Another second....

And the world could've changed.

---

The knights lunged to their feet as everything happened so quickly.

Riftan drew his sword, cloak flying out as he reached for Maxi.

The thin line of steel cutting through the night with a chilling red target.

The sudden scream of terror and shock and the grumbling of the earth as it rose upwards to become a shield.

Preventing further horrible fates upon anyone.

For HimOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara