1. Treacherous Roads

They hadn't left Xeno for more than three hours and Maxi felt her blood run cold.

"I feel it too." Hebaron muttered darkly as he rode his horse next to Maxi's carriage as she stuck her head out, her braid hanging over her shoulder, swaying slightly. She'd felt her stomach curl nervously and she hadn't been able to calm down, goosebumps drawn over her flesh and her gut instinct calling out. She wasn't sure if it was danger or just the possibility of monsters in the area. "Something in the air."

It didn't help that the knights looked wary, their faces dark and were on edge, glaring around the bracken with suspicious eyes, hands placed closer to their weapons. No, she wasn't alone in this matter.

"My lady," Uslin muttered from slightly ahead, glancing back at her but his eyes swept through the area with tense blue eyes. "I suggest you remain hidden carefully." Maxi wanted to protest but Ruth muttered irritably, cutting her off sharply.

"I'd do as he says. You need to recover still."

"Ruth, I'm fine-"

"Maxi." Riftan's voice was sharp and lethal as it was gentle and he didn't say anything more, but Maxi glared at his back before slipping back into the carriage. They were right as much as she hated it. She was fine enough that she wasn't numb or her motions were slowed anymore but if she was truly being honest, she was...tired. And maybe being out in the woods brought back bloody memories.

The sunlight was bright and gentle overhead through the parted canopies and didn't speak sinister auras around them. And yet, the silence was foreboding, not even a single chirp or twitters from birds. Nothing even moved at all. No birds, no rabbits...even the leaves looked frozen and stiff...The forest was holding its breath.

Maxi felt sweat run down her spine, glancing slightly out of the window, her own breath held in as she swept her eyes through the thick foliage, daring to find any slight movement and give her a moment clarity. Either attack or don't, whatever is there.

And yet nothing moved and yet nothing struck, just continued to remain on the edge, the shadows never shifting or creeping, just...still and silent. They didn't need to move to incite tension in the knights as they travelled past the shadows like a parted river. The continued tension made Maxi feel sick to the deepest pit of her stomach.

But as the day passed drearily through the hours, the woods opening to an open clearing that Maxi stared over with wondrous eyes, her lips parted at the stunning view as sun was slipping down in the distance, the hazy blue fading into deep orange and purple hues and casting looming shadows in the horizon. Clouds splayed through, golden orange with pink hues through them and the long grass swayed and shifted in the soft breeze.

It was stunning!

"We'll camp here for the night and move out at dawn." The men climbed off their horses, starting for camp and Maxi quickly climbed out of the carriage, her eyes following the distance as it stood far ahead but she wanted to reach it. She stood on the hill, overlooking the long field of grass and dotted bunches of flowers heaped out in different directions. A breeze swept past, brushing her braid back and her gown in a flutter and she closed her eyes peacefully at the welcoming fresh air.

"It's a view to behold." Riftan murmured from beside her as he came up to her. Maxi didn't open her eyes, tilting her chin upwards and splaying her arms outwards as the breeze whooshed through them much stronger again, and with her hair and gown flying around her, she almost felt as though she was flying. "You're trying to fly."

"I-I'm imagining I c-can float. Where I c-can float and d-dangers cannot reach h-high above."

"It's a hopeful thought." Maxi dropped her arms, opening her eyes and turning to Riftan who smiled softly at her, his hand rising to brush strands of her hair away from her eyes. "What I wouldn't give to make your world safe." Maxi blinked at his words, the strange bitterness hidden in his tone and she reached up to take his hand, holding it tightly.